Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750
Default Lowside for me. :/

So, I learned a lesson today.. well two if you want to get technical. And no, I'm not hurt at all. No pics because it was dark by the time I got back.. maybe later.

The first lesson.. approaching an intersection with a red light I noticed Person A's car stalled to the left of me in a right turn only lane (turning in the direction I was coming from). Well that sucks for them. Meanwhile Person B and Person C start getting impatient and honk (they have a green). With Person B and C ignoring the hand signs to go around, Person A starts panicking. Light turns green (for me). Truck in front of me proceeds to turn, Person A's car starts while I start to turn, Person A's car goes straight instead of turning in the right turn only lane.. they braked, but a near miss none the less.

The mistake I made is I assumed a stalled car was not a threat, when in reality it was in the red zone. If the above was confusing I'm sorry.

Here's the shitty part.. Going down the street I made the turn onto, I came up to the usual poorly designed turn that I dread every day (the sidewalk jets out too far and generally becomes part of the road, along with it being a sharp turn to begin with). But, there was something else wrong with that turn today.. there was something shiny and dark on the surface.. oil, perhaps?

I judged that it was out of my turning path (there are two lanes to turn into), but I slowed down a bit anyway and tried to turn a bit more closer to the curb (or lack thereof). Well, I was correct.. in part. What I didn't take into account is that oil (or whatever it was I saw) is a liquid, and thus spreads outward getting thinner as it goes along. So the area that looked unaffected was actually slippery as fuck. In short, I began turning and low sided.

After I got the bike up and onto the sidewalk about three or more cars all proceeded to slide on the slick surface in about a 5 minute time frame. Some nice people that saw what happened came over to make sure I was all right and that was that.

Because I was going slow I myself was not injured besides a scratch on my arm (I'm thinking that's from the armor in the elbow region of my jacket) and minor wrist pain that went away after about 15 mins into class. My jeans now have a nice black streak on them, but my jacket is perfectly in tact thanks to whatever that slippery shit was.

Bike wise the bottom part of one pipe is scuffed up, the bottom of the brake pedal area is scratched a bit, and I lost a little thingy off the bottom of my foot pedal. Nothing very visible, and after I get the cash I was going to get new pipes anyway. The bike also took a minute to get started again though, but have not had any issues after that.

I'm still not sure where exactly I slid out though. There might have been some liquid before the area I saw that appeared invisible. Like a leak starting, then spilling everything in the area I saw, and then dripping some after the area. Or it may have started to ooze down to the sides of the road into the area I thought was safe. Maybe even a combination of the two.

At any rate, I learned that even if it appears liquid on the street surface is centered around one area I should assume the ENTIRE surface is a danger area even going backward and forward a bit. Until I know that the area is cleaned up I'm avoiding it for sure though.. always hated it to begin with.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
t-homo
WSB Champion

sorry to hear that dude.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250

Sorry about the lowside but glad to hear your ok.
julie j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchopper87 View Post
So, I learned a lesson today.. ....
You're going to start booking on Orbitz so when the price goes down you get a check? lol

Yeah oil sucks...slipped many times on oil, but never crashed in it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Low
NoBody Knows me!!

Moto: 1200CC

Yeah been there done that... I suggest you put your bike on a stand and let it run for a while... that simple low side not even going 5 mph caused a hair line crack in my crank cover, of course I didn't realize that till I was 40 miles away with oil all over my boot and my rear tire. Let's just say it was a tense day... check it once then check it again.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

man, that really sucks. Good thing you weren't moving faster at least

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Bummer. Glad you're ok.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

glad you are okay....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

That sucks but really glad your OK!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low View Post
Yeah been there done that... I suggest you put your bike on a stand and let it run for a while... that simple low side not even going 5 mph caused a hair line crack in my crank cover, of course I didn't realize that till I was 40 miles away with oil all over my boot and my rear tire. Let's just say it was a tense day... check it once then check it again.
I'll be sure to check that out. I did find some other minor damage I didn't notice at first, so I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks everyone. I'm more pissed at myself for letting something so stupid happen tbh.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote