Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > GPS Data

Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #61
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

None, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas later.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #62
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I dunno yet... It comes with a suction cup base, that would probably stick pretty well to my airbox cover... then again... that doesn't sound secure enough... I'll finagle something... maybe just let it ride in a tank bag...
dude... seriously check the ram mounts I linked above... the mount for PDA's should work

here... http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM...p?prod=RAM-PD2
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #63
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I dunno yet... It comes with a suction cup base, that would probably stick pretty well to my airbox cover... then again... that doesn't sound secure enough... I'll finagle something... maybe just let it ride in a tank bag...

This might sound stupid but the windshield mount is in two pieces you could take the part that actually mounts to the unit and velcro it to your tach. Then the unit would be in plain sight and shielded from the sun,which was my biggest problem using the unit in a tankbag. Remember,even if this blocks your speedo,the unit displays mph so you'd be ok. Ofcourse,when your trip is over you can just peel the velcro away or you could always drop $60 or so and buy a mc mount..... I'm glad you like the unit btw!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 03-09-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: I'm a dumbass and got 2 hrs sleep over some whore and can't think worth a shit!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #64
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
This might sound stupid but the windshield mount is in two pieces you could take the part that actually mounts to the unit and velcro it to your tach. Then the unit would be in plain sight and shielded from the sun,which was my biggest problem using the unit in a tankbag. Remember,even if this blocks your speedo,the unit displays mph so you'd be ok. Ofcourse,when your trip is over you can just peel the velcro away or you could always drop $60 or so and buy a mc mount..... I'm glad you like the unit btw!
Sheilded from the sun? Yeah, not on my bike... no windyscreeny...

And Ebbs, those Ram Mounts are nice, but I think I can make something that will work just as well, if not better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
None, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas later.
Mio 320. Seriously, it's very basic, but has a lot of the features the higher dollar ones have... $200 beans ain't bad either... If you don't have a Radio Shack card you can get another 10% off when you open one...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #65
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Sheilded from the sun? Yeah, not on my bike... no windyscreeny...

And Ebbs, those Ram Mounts are nice, but I think I can make something that will work just as well, if not better...

Mio 320. Seriously, it's very basic, but has a lot of the features the higher dollar ones have... $200 beans ain't bad either... If you don't have a Radio Shack card you can get another 10% off when you open one...
Plus they offer a replacement warranty....just in case you bounce it or it gets wet,etc..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #66
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Think i'm gonna pick up the Quest 2 for the bike

Have a SP 2610 in the truck and a Su...whatever... 530 in her car.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #67
t-homo
WSB Champion

I really want to get one for my car at some point. Why don't you just use the same GPS and have mounts on both? Just for plugging in, because I'm sure you could rig up an auxilary to plug it into instead of hardwiring.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #68
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I really want to get one for my car at some point. Why don't you just use the same GPS and have mounts on both? Just for plugging in, because I'm sure you could rig up an auxilary to plug it into instead of hardwiring.
you can do that.

my $0.02 get something that's available for use on motorcycles and just get a beanbag/suction cup mount for your cager.

Saves ya $$$ in the longrun on hardware and software upgrades.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #69
nyricanf15`
Pasta Rider

Moto: 07' Aprilia RSV 1000R

I have the Garmin Nuvi 260 and it works great, but I only use it in the cage. I don't see me ever putting it on my bike.
nyricanf15` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #70
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

I have the Nuvi 700 series, just took a weekend trip on the scoot and it worked great. I have a trickle charger connection hooked up to the battery, so I got an sae to cigar adapter to power the Nuvi mounted in my RAM mount. No vibrtion issues, had a ziplock baggie and some zipties in case it rained. However RAM now has a nice waterproof box for the Nuvi's that work with the touch screen.

I had no problem with using the touch screen with my gloves. A little issues with shading it, but because I had it hardwired, I could turn the back light up.

I have it mounted off my bars just below my speedo so I can still see my tach. It was great for unriden back roads and knowing when tight corners were approaching.

The 700 series is nice cause you can store several trips to it in memory.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote