Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #21
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Ok ladies, post your height, what bike you ride, inseam, and how much you had to lower your please. I'm looking for some points of reference I can use with my height challenged wife.

Thanks
Thomas
I'm 5'1" with a 26/27" inseam. My bike's seat height is close to 32". I ride mine stock. I can barely tip toe on each side.

I did temporarily lower the rear and shave the seat until I got comfortable enough to put her back at stock.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I made my wife prove she was serious about having her own bike by learning on my YZF600R. It was 488 lbs although it only had a 32 in seat height. Then I showed her I loved her by riding on the pillion giving her alot more weight to juggle. After that she handles the little 250 just fine!

250 probably feels like a bicycle after that lol

you could put a trackskin tail on it-gets rid of the seat and the extra 2-3 inches it takes up altogether. should be tolerable for multiple 15-20min trips til shes comfy with the bike, never have to touch the susp.

if u decide to lower it, make sure u lower the front and back, and then adjust the susp (if u can) accordingly. dont just lower the back and call it a day.

another thought-would a twin or triple help? they arent as wide, mite let her use what little length in the legs she has to their full potential.
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #23
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cbr1000rr View Post
Spinner?
Spinner FTMFW!

Duc Monsters have low seats from what I hear.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #24
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

SV650s have a lot of seat to shave.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #25
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
it's a good name, my given is rachel, but I prefer rae...

I can't stand the thought of lowering a bike, having ridden them it makes me shudder at the loss of performance, small tho it may be! My friend had the 250 and got links to lower it and it met her needs. I'd try that, then when she is comfortable, take it back to stock if she wants.
there's not always a loss of performance - there can even be an improvement in performance (my bike is one of those cases).

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Duc Monsters have low seats from what I hear.
Ducati Monster 620 It's a two-valve, so they don't have the maintenance issues the four-valves do. And, the weight is well balanced.

The other idea - get a dirt bike. Have her run around an learn how to balance with something smaller. That's what I'm doing with my daughters...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Zoom you should know better than to think a newer rider should have a duck. Nothing on a duck its the first time not even a after market screen. Thats far to much stress for a newer rider.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #28
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
She really wants to be able to pretty much flat foot any bike she has, it's pretty "hilly" where we ride and she hates the balancing act she has to do while stopped at the top of those hills.
Get her a Honda Nighthawk 250, or the Honda Rebel 250, or that Suzuki's equivalence of the Rebel 250. After she gets comfortable with riding and balancing a bike, then get her something taller so that she can balance on one leg. Starting out with a tallish bike is do-able, but not pleasant and the learning curve is definitely a lot shallower than starting out with a bike that gives her confidence.

I'm 5ft6 with stubby inseam (29" pants, 26" actual). I can ride any bike of any weight all the way up to 34" seat inseam. After that I can't because I simply run out of leg room to even teeter on the ball of one foot. BUT I sure as hell didn't start out with an adventure bike and 33" worth of seat inseam.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #29
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
Zoom you should know better than to think a newer rider should have a duck. Nothing on a duck its the first time not even a after market screen. Thats far to much stress for a newer rider.
What? They are cheaper than most anything out there - and lower to the ground. And, it doesn't have to be modded to hell and back again.

You know the sad truth?

The truth we all know - everyone wants to have something pretty and sparkly. I know men and women alike that want to start on the fastest most bling (performance or otherwise) thing out there. No one wants to start on the newbie bike.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #30
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
What? They are cheaper than most anything out there - and lower to the ground. And, it doesn't have to be modded to hell and back again.

You know the sad truth?

The truth we all know - everyone wants to have something pretty and sparkly. I know men and women alike that want to start on the fastest most bling (performance or otherwise) thing out there. No one wants to start on the newbie bike.
She likes the ducati 620, we plan to sit on a few at the dealership in Charlotte, we ran out of time today.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote