Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default Boner-ville

Always wanted one of these, finally picked one up last night.

Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Sexy, let me know how you like it. Been thinking of getting a scrambler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

very very nice. That is a schmexy bike that is fun to be on
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
very very nice. That is a schmexy bike that is fun to be on
This is a very derf-sized motorcycle. Much more compact than I expected and it looks positively miniscule beside my WR. A little less leg-room than I would prefer but overall the ergonomics are very comfortable. This is a real standard, not a sport-standard like almost all of the Japanese offerings over the past decade or so.

My 80-mile ride home last night (via expressway, city traffic, and mountain twisties) left me with very positive impressions. It's quicker than I expected; not brain-melting fast by any means but torquier than I thought it would be. And even pretty smooth. The clutch-engagement and throttle response are excellent... a huge plus just coming off a Yamaha FZ6. The transmission is a little clunky but not terrible, and it will probably get better as the bike is broken in.

The real surprise was in the handling. I immediately felt comfortable on this bike from the moment I let out the clutch; it is a very balanced motorcycle. Low-speed maneuvers are a breeze, the budget front-end provides better feedback than other supposedly higher-performing bikes I've owned, and the ride overall is just very controlled. Quick, light steering paired with good straight-line stability.

The build-quality is a little on the cheap side, but I guess my expectations shouldn't be too high for something in this price range. A lot of cheap chromed plastic, and body parts you think at a glance are metal, aren't. Still a very handsome machine and unmistakable for anything else on the road.

It's kind of a bitch to clean... drainage on and around the engine is inadequate, leaving pools of water everywhere to spot/corrode if it isn't blown off. I'm reaching for complaints here, because I really don't have many...

Accessories will include a center-stand (which should be standard equipment on all bikes of this type, but whatever) and racks for my Givi hard cases. Otherwise I'm leaving it as-is.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Very nice! The faux carbs are a nice touch! I looked at the Thruxton but, those things are too cramped for Derf! Not even close for me! I wish there were more true standards that were simple like the Triumphs. Honda did well with the Nighthawk many years ago but, the timing wasn't right and they sat on the showroom floors. Simple, smooth well-handling bikes that did what you needed them to do without a fuss.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Very nice! The faux carbs are a nice touch! I looked at the Thruxton but, those things are too cramped for Derf! Not even close for me! I wish there were more true standards that were simple like the Triumphs. Honda did well with the Nighthawk many years ago but, the timing wasn't right and they sat on the showroom floors. Simple, smooth well-handling bikes that did what you needed them to do without a fuss.
The Nighthawk 750 I bought new in 2003 was probably the best do-it-all motorcycle I've ever owned. This Bonneville has a very similar feel and time will tell if it lives up. That Honda took me to school, work, and across the country half a dozen times.

I was strongly considering Honda's new CB1100 as well, but I couldn't find anything within $3000 of what I paid for this Triumph. I think the Bonnie is the [slightly] more attractive of the two, anyway:

Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

The new CB1100 is very nice, but the price for a new one is just nuts.

Nice Triumph.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Congrats on the new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
My 80-mile ride home last night (via expressway, city traffic, and mountain twisties) left me with very positive impressions.
From the pics it looked like you had it home with 4 miles on the odometer. So the dealership had a foot-pump sitting in the box next to the bike outside?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Very nice Triple! I wonder if I can fit it if its derf sized
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Looks pretty good, even seen a couple urban "hipsters/metros" with one. Surprised it doesn't have a tach though.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote