Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh in the 90s EVERYBODY had to switch to GP Shift! I ran it on my 95 FZR1000 and my '97 YZF1000. Of course, everyone also rushed their gears to Falicon for undercutting, bought the shift kit from Factory and bought clutch plates and springs from Barnett, back then too. My bike's tranny is all stock and it shifts better than my YZF did, even with all the mods. On the older bikes it helps with missed shifts but the newer bikes (at least mine) don't have as many problems in that area so... Heck, I can't remember the last time I missed a shift.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #42
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It should be easy, just flip the output shaft linkage over, post a pic of where your shaft comes out of your transmission and I'll tell you how to do it.
That's where the problem arises. My shift rod goes through a hole cut for it in the frame, and I'm not sure if there is enough room above where it comes out. I'll post a pic later today.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #43
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
That's where the problem arises. My shift rod goes through a hole cut for it in the frame, and I'm not sure if there is enough room above where it comes out. I'll post a pic later today.
You're lucky, the R1 isnt bad, the 86 1000R, you have to replace te shift lever to get GP shift because theres no room at the shift shaft going into the transmission to flip it between the frame.

Now, I ran GP shift on my 87 Hurricane, and it wasnt half bad honestly, I enjoyed running it for the simple reason that it was different, but it kept toying with me, and I always forgot which way to shift, so I had to go back to normal shifting.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post

Hey you can't do it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #45
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hey you can't do it.
Yep, woodcraft makes a special shift linkage for $25 that you can use.

Personally? I don't see any real reason to do it. I've never had a shifting problem on the track because of standard shift. I think people like to do it "just because" and that's fine, go for it.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #46
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
You're lucky, the R1 isnt bad, the 86 1000R, you have to replace te shift lever to get GP shift because theres no room at the shift shaft going into the transmission to flip it between the frame.

Now, I ran GP shift on my 87 Hurricane, and it wasnt half bad honestly, I enjoyed running it for the simple reason that it was different, but it kept toying with me, and I always forgot which way to shift, so I had to go back to normal shifting.
wish id tried that on mine. I used to drag toe constantly on that thing
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #47
was92v
Nowhere Man

I prefer standard and used it on race bikes too. I just didn't want to remember which bike I was on.
However right side shift always messes me up because I keep locking the rear wheel up as I "down shift" and then have to get the F'ing thing back in first after I'm going too slow for it to work right.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #48
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
I prefer standard and used it on race bikes too. I just didn't want to remember which bike I was on.
However right side shift always messes me up because I keep locking the rear wheel up as I "down shift" and then have to get the F'ing thing back in first after I'm going too slow for it to work right.
my dad did that on an old bultaco or somethin went to brake and downshifted into the back of a chrysler
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote