Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
zippychickie636
Street Stunter

Moto: 2005 zx6r (636)
Default Aftermarket Levers...Which are the best?

So I have a 2005 zx6r, and my little girl hands can barely pull the clutch in, it's too tight, and even after I adjusted it to as close to the handle bars as possible it's not really working for me. I'm wondering what you guys think the best adjustable levers are out there, or what would work for me.

also I need a new chain and sprockets which is probably the explanation for what I'm about to say, but I thought I'd mention it anyway and see if anyone else has this problem. When I first take off theres a quick clanking noise that gets progressivly faster in rythm until like 5-6 rpms and it stops. It only happens in first and second gear and everytime I tighten my chain it seems to go away. BUT what I think is weird is that it comes back within a few days. If it were just the chain I don't think it would loosen up the point of clanking that quickly? but then again I don't really know. Any thoughts guys? (or ladies)
zippychickie636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
was92v
Nowhere Man

The noise is the chain/sprockets. The quicker it comes back, the worse they are. The noise will go away when the worn stuff goes away.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

as far as levers... there are a few good brands out their... but I've only had Pazzo's... I liked them on my ZZR... so I ordered another set for my 600RR... though this time I went with the shorty version.

the adjustable is not gonna do much about how hard it is to pull... it'll just position the lever in it's static position (ie where the lever starts) closer to or further from the grips.

that's why I got them... so I could pull the lever in all the way and not crush my little fingers... and also I only use 2 fingers anyhow...

have you lubed the clutch cable? that may make it a little easier to pull... other than that I'm at a loss for how to ease that up for you
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I would agree about trying to lube your clutch cable. How many miles on your chain and sprocket?
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
zippychickie636
Street Stunter

thanks for the advice guys. There's deffinatly alot of miles on the chain and sprockets I mean I got the bike at 13,000 miles in oct. and I don't know if/when the previous owner chained them last, and now the bikes at 16700...so I know I'm pushin it. I'm very cautious though with the whole thing so it's not like I'm not gonna replace it. I was just curious about whether the noise was related or not but from the looks of things it sure is. thanks again
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Yep I'd go ahead and do the chain and sprockets it will provide piece of mind and like you said you don't know what type of maintenance (if any) the previous owner provided.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Some of the guys/gals on the board here in your area may be able to help out with the install to save your some $$$$.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
zippychickie636
Street Stunter

yea I really need to learn how to do some of this maitenance myself. It's so expensive to have it done. I have a couple people around here always offering to help me do some stuff to my bike and just let them know but every time it comes down to getting it done they dissappear...boo. lol
Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippychickie636 View Post
yea I really need to learn how to do some of this maitenance myself. It's so expensive to have it done. I have a couple people around here always offering to help me do some stuff to my bike and just let them know but every time it comes down to getting it done they dissappear...boo. lol
Motorcycle maintenance isn't hard. For most of it, you just need some basic tools and race stands. There are a few specialized tools though- link a chain breaker/press/riveter. You can always ride down here with the parts, and I'll loan the tools and expertise.

How often do you clean/lube that chain? It probably is due for replacement, but frequent cleaning/lubing helps them last longer. The clanking is chain links binding and not flowing smoothly. They do it when the pins wear, and the internal lubrication has dried up. Look close, and you'll probably notice a dry reddish stain on the inside of the side plates on certain links.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

I have CRG shorty's but if you are having trouble pulling in stock levers I would stick with full size.
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote