Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

After years of getting beat by $$ rather than by better riders this looks cool to me. Of course I gave as good as I got, beating some riders regardless of their equipment, but the ones who smoked by on $20,000 middleweights who get 2-3 sets a tires per day really chapped my hiney.

This way I could take "ole bessy" keep her stock suspension and 2 weekend old tires and still come home happy. My only puase to question is sometimes race laps can slow dramatically if traffic holds you up. Therefore gridding the slower riders in front seems like the wrong thing to do. Might cause accidents, definetly would throw another variable into figuring your final total race time...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My only puase to question is sometimes race laps can slow dramatically if traffic holds you up. Therefore gridding the slower riders in front seems like the wrong thing to do. Might cause accidents, definetly would throw another variable into figuring your final total race time...

Based on the PR, it seems like it would be a staggered start so that traffic shouldn't be an issue until the very end.

One concern that popped in my head was the idea that everybody finished at once.

I realize that is only a best case scenario but can you imagine the chaos of having 10 1:30 guys finishing at the same time as 10 1:55 guys?

Not only that, what happens when two or three fast guy are barrelling down the last straight wheel to wheel when the leader realizes he is about to break out but the guy following still is on the gas?
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

This looks like it could be hella fun! Get race thrills to see if ya like it without all the cash and stress involved...hhmmm, great post!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
smileyman
White Trash Hero

I agree Shmike. Scoring nightmare! Transponders would be a must and then race control would have to double check everyones dial in.

As for the break out brake check I don't think the riders would be allowed lap timers or anything that would tip them off to their time. They shouldn't know, but if they did then they would have backed off their pace long before the last straight away on the last lap and letting faster riders pass would be ok as you never know what their dial in was or how the pass would effect your finish. (that last part would be murder on the assholes that hate to be passed, not mentioning any names here...)

Arkriders.com
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I agree Shmike. Scoring nightmare! Transponders would be a must and then race control would have to double check everyones dial in.

As for the break out brake check I don't think the riders would be allowed lap timers or anything that would tip them off to their time. They shouldn't know, but if they did then they would have backed off their pace long before the last straight away on the last lap and letting faster riders pass would be ok as you never know what their dial in was or how the pass would effect your finish. (that last part would be murder on the assholes that hate to be passed, not mentioning any names here...)
so bikes with factory timers would need to be excluded?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

This has been tried before, and it looks good on paper.

But, and this is pretty big fucking but, a "Run what you brung" class, is a disaster in the making.

Wave starts are all fine and good, but at some point, this will turn into a total clusterfuck.

It boils down to track capability, ie, how many bikes, running at how many different speeds, can you realistically run a safe race, on a given track.

I raced 600 production and vintage in the 90's. There were times when the 600 prod class got gridded with the Open class, and we ended up with 58 bikes on the track, all in an effort by the race club to save some time and money.

Not cool. We were faster on corner speed, and they were faster on the straights. Trying to scrub off some speed at full tilt bozo because some squid on a liter bike is moving at half your speed at the apex of a third gear corner is no goddamn fun.

Don't get we wrong, "Road Warrior" racing can be a blast, if you're willing to crash and burn, but it's basically a track day gone wild.

JC
Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

I don't know as much as the son of man but I am certain you would have to have class structure to avoid the disparity of speed. I raced endurance with 50+ entries so I have been in the same scenario he explains. 500 and 650 twins lapping alongside 600s, 750s, and 1000s can be very scary.

I am assuming the brackets would be set up accordingly as well with your "dial in" time being how you get classed rather than what machine your on, again like bracket drags racing.

And on the lap timer question I don't think they would have to disallow bike that come with timers, but find a way to limit or discourage their use. Taped over at tech or something but in the end it would be real difficult I think to use your timer to get you close enough to your dial in to work out the math consistently enough to have an advantage...

Arkriders.com