Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
Cutting and bending isn't problem, and when I'm working with my hands, I've got all the patience in the world. So pretty much a dremel and a hair drier?

I was thinking plexi because I need something to use as a template in order to build a mold. The final product(s) with be from either fiberglass or carbon fiber.
you wanna build a mold... use cardboard and styrophome... that spray expanding foam is awesome for this.

the thing is you can make a sphere with fiberglass... you can't with plexy. you can make it round as in in a cylinder but not sphere... as you'd have folds and shit.

save yourself the trouble...get cardboard and spray foam... it's what I used when doing fiberglass for car stereo installs before I came in the military.

as far as I know it's what they're still using now
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
you wanna build a mold... use cardboard and styrophome... that spray expanding foam is awesome for this.

the thing is you can make a sphere with fiberglass... you can't with plexy. you can make it round as in in a cylinder but not sphere... as you'd have folds and shit.

save yourself the trouble...get cardboard and spray foam... it's what I used when doing fiberglass for car stereo installs before I came in the military.

as far as I know it's what they're still using now
Cardboard for the base and basic outline and then spray the shit out of it with great stuff (far away from the bike of course and on only one side) and then just shape it the way I want? That sounds pretty simple.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

yup
Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Quote:
yup
Sweet, that sounds one hell of a lot easier than what I was thinking. Thanks a lot. Cool thing is that the Homac (a Japanese WalMart) opens in 30 min.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

nice... yeah it'll be easy... and if you fuck up... quick to start over!

get some sand paper to help shape it
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Quote:
nice... yeah it'll be easy... and if you fuck up... quick to start over!

get some sand paper to help shape it
I've got cardboard and a box cutter, I need spray foam and sand paper for now. This'll be a lot easier than what I was thinking 'cause I'll probably screw this up at least once. Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

lol I used to make at least 4 molds before I got one right

just remember that spray foam expands with alot of pressure... so very little is needed

I was help'n a buddy put in a window in his adac and he got some spray foam for around the window... neither of us had ever used it so we sprayed alot to fill it up... it started spilling out but we cleaned it up... 2 mins later... the window went fly'n out, and down 3 stories down to the ground... crazy shit.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Quote:
lol I used to make at least 4 molds before I got one right

just remember that spray foam expands with alot of pressure... so very little is needed

I was help'n a buddy put in a window in his adac and he got some spray foam for around the window... neither of us had ever used it so we sprayed alot to fill it up... it started spilling out but we cleaned it up... 2 mins later... the window went fly'n out, and down 3 stories down to the ground... crazy shit.
Nice, I'll keep that in mind
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
was92v
Nowhere Man

I have done some work with both as a one time parts making experiments. I found about 3/4 of a stock car windshield laying in the road where it had fallen out of a truck. It was lexan and still had the protective paper on the plastic. It will bend pretty easy with heat. I made a seat and tail for a 350 drag bike out of it. The paint looked great. I painted it inside out, like a clear slot car body for those on here old enough to remember such things. Decals, then top candy, then base, etc.. on the inside so it had a 1/4 inch of clear (lexan) on the outside.

Last edited by was92v; 05-14-2010 at 07:24 PM..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
was92v
Nowhere Man

The next year I made a one piece lift off body out of aluminum screen and fiberglass "boat repair kits" from the Ace hardware. It didn't look all that great but it worked.
Actually the bike looked better to me without any body work.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote