Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Default Slippery Seat? Good or Bad?

My leathers kind of grip the stock seat on my 10. I'm kind of wondering if that's a good thing or not. When hanging off, I think I'd rather be able to easily slide from side to side, rather than having to pick my butt up off my seat to do it. Am I correct? Is there some kind of seat covering I can replace the stock one with to accomplish that? Is a slippery seat a bad idea? I suppose I could try some Armor All or something.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

preference based, I like a slippery seat, some people go out of their way to make sure they can't move around as easy with stomp grips and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
t-homo
WSB Champion

I have a slippery seat, which I like for moving side to side, but stompgrip to keep from sliding forward and backward so much.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

Man, I would have to say no to the slipery... But if your leathers stard to grab and Bunch up on it at all it would get pretty annoying. My seat has a carbon look weave to it that gives it just enough of grip and slip. Dirt bike wise I have always hated the gripper seats and prefered a stock slipery one but on the street I would rather stay planted for those corners where you are hanging off and waiting for the next apex instead of repositioning. Nothing like an oh shit slip and throttle jerk at that point to fuck up your line I guess.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I prefer a 'Grippier' Seat...As for a Passenger...My Buddy has what i call 'Ass Gripper' On the rear seat and I need to buy it for my bike, My Fiancee moves all around when we ride and it annoys the shit out fo me.

On a sde note I've seen Stomp Grip start to Chafe a Really Expensive Leather Suit...Which is no good.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Take my word for it, you DONT want to armorall that seat, especially not when you ride with leathers. Unless you like sliding right off everytime you leave a light or accelerate!

If the leathers are sticking, try using a leather conditioner, same for your seat, that may help. Stomp grips also are a preferred method. I havent had any problems myself and prefer to go without the grips as they dont allow me the freedom of movement i prefer. Good luck!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Stop Armor-All'ing that motherfucker! My dad and I did that once... read, ONCE... when we first got WaveRunners...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

I use Honda Polish on mine. It has a bit of a cross weave pattern on it and the leathers don't slide. This forces me to stand up and relocate and screws up the body position.

I prefer a slicker surface.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I prefer to keep my butt square on the seat and move my upper body from side to side. It makes for smooth transitions. To move my butt around, I'm weighing and unweighing the pegs. That upsets my line and the steering geometry of the bike. Plus it takes too long to shift my butt during a string of tight S-curves. The main thing is to have my body centerline (the middle of my chest) to the inside of the bike's centerline.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I prefer it somewhat grippier. On the track, other than the straight, my weight is on the pegs and I'm off the seat a bit to move back and forth anyway. On the streets I like to stick to it unless i WANT to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote