Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
CasterTroy

Default Autocom friggin RAWKS!

Brian always told me I needed to suck it up and get an autocom system and then we'd get some cheap radios to talk back and forth on rides.

Well...I never did. But he got 2 systems. One for his BMW and one for his motard.

He never used the one on the motard so he gave me the box and told me to install it on the BMW. So I took it and was going to order the leads I needed later.

Well in my down time these past few months I've been installing and routing my leads.

With my BMW I have a GPS, an iPod and a cell phone. I got a shelf to mount all of my electronics in view

So I finally took all the fairings off and routed all the wiring to the devices and plugged the autocom in.

Then I got a helmet lead and tied it all together.

This is SO FRIGGIN awesome! Now I can roll down the road....hear "Bitchin Betty" clear as a bell, my music is on, and when I get a call, it breaks in and all goes silent, then you hear the person on the phone. I was told I KIND of sound like I'm calling from the toilet (echo/can) but I can be heard clear even at 80mph.

I've never had anything like this and it DOES rock! I wish I'd gotten it YEARS ago.

Those of you with an advanced phone (not the dinosaur in the picture above on the small shelf to the right on my dash) won't need multiple leads because of music on phones and nav crap..but I'm semi-oldskool so I have multiple devices.

But I'd HIGHLY recommend this kind of system. Especially if you ride long distance and have people checking on you!

Need to get the wife a helmet lead now so we can talk while we ride and it'll be complete. I've got time though....she won't ride unless it's 60 or hotter
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yeh this winter I'm working on all my toys that go on the bike. I was lookign at the JM audio setup with teh valentine, the GPS I have and my Ipod. I just dont trust teh adjustable type of mount that you have. I was lookign at the water proof ram mount boxes that you can still do the touch wheel on. Then have all the stuff powered off the bike through teh accessory wire harness i put in.

Anyway, your setup looks good, but does it block the dash?

Also does each of your gadgets have its own mount? I was hoping to have them all on 1 mount that I can easily remove and that is all plugged in together so I can pull everything off in 1 plug and one mount thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

I could have told you so...

I've had an old Pro-7 installed on my bikes for years. :rockwoot
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Anyway, your setup looks good, but does it block the dash?
Not at all...but it's specifically designed for my bike with all specific mounts

With all these mounts that go with it

Still provides a clear shot of all the gauges AND the road

On a sportbike though you'd only need a clear view of the GPS...the phone and Ipod could go in a tankbag since the phone goes on autoanswer with the headset port plugged....and the iPod, well it can go in the clear map-pocket on the top of most tankbags.

At least thats the way I'd do it
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

you know what they say about jack of all trades, can do all the jobs but not really good at one.

my phone does all what you have on your dash........MP3/GPS/Phone keke

not the garage door opener though
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

and you still need 1 of these

http://www.legalspeeding.com/Radar_Cover.htm
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
you know what they say about jack of all trades, can do all the jobs but not really good at one.

my phone does all what you have on your dash........MP3/GPS/Phone keke
Thats why I said in my first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post

Those of you with an advanced phone (not the dinosaur in the picture above on the small shelf to the right on my dash) won't need multiple leads because of music on phones and nav crap..but I'm semi-oldskool so I have multiple devices.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Autocom believer here too - we've had them on the sport bikes for years now with no problems - Radar detector, bike to bike, phone (if we want), music - flawless for going on 5 years now. http://www.pappawheelies.com/trunk1.htm (um...sorry for the music)

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote