Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Checking the valve clearance is easy and fun. Changing the valve clearance is more involved since the camshaft(s) has to come out. My old Suzuki uses a shim on top of the bucket. A special tool levers the bucket down and the shim is replaced with a thinner or thicker shim. My old Honda uses an adjustment screw on the valve rocker. The camshafts stay in place.

Most newer bikes have the shim under the bucket, on top of the valve. All the clearances are checked and written down, the crank is rotated and done several more times until all valves are checked. If any are too tight or too loose, the crank is set to TDC, the camshaft sprockets are loosened and the cams slid out. The buckets of the loose or tight valves are taken off, the shim sizes are read, or if they are wiped off, the shims are miked, and new shims are inserted to get the correct clearance. The cams are slid back in, checked to make sure the exhaust and intake aren't switched, are in the correct time, and you're done. You definitely need the manual for this.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Checking the valve clearance is easy and fun. Changing the valve clearance is more involved since the camshaft(s) has to come out. My old Suzuki uses a shim on top of the bucket. A special tool levers the bucket down and the shim is replaced with a thinner or thicker shim. My old Honda uses an adjustment screw on the valve rocker. The camshafts stay in place.

Most newer bikes have the shim under the bucket, on top of the valve. All the clearances are checked and written down, the crank is rotated and done several more times until all valves are checked. If any are too tight or too loose, the crank is set to TDC, the camshaft sprockets are loosened and the cams slid out. The buckets of the loose or tight valves are taken off, the shim sizes are read, or if they are wiped off, the shims are miked, and new shims are inserted to get the correct clearance. The cams are slid back in, checked to make sure the exhaust and intake aren't switched, are in the correct time, and you're done. You definitely need the manual for this.
yep it's alittle daunting to say the least! You're exactly right,btw,about checking being easy. Now I'm trying NOT to chicken out and do the shim job myself. A few other factors making me think twice about doing it; stimilus check=free $$$, shop will do the job for $200-300, I suspect I have a bad/broken spring-if so extended warranty will pay for whole job. OOOO desisions,desisions!!! Oh well,it'll wait until after Memorial Day!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Here's my POV on doing things yourself and I'm a person of always doing it myself on my bike.

1. nobody cares for your bike more than you
2. why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike when you can do it for free
3. a service manual, some mechanical skill, some tools, and time is all you need
Fuck-an-aye

The only thing I haven't done on mine are valves and belts, they freak me out. I just ordered the DVD to walk me through these desmo scary valves.

I keep a check list in the garage for each of the bikes - what maintenance, when... that way I know what was done and when, and what should be done and when.

I would encourage anyone that has collected tools over the years to take an inventory from time to time. A friend of mine had their garage broken into and got cleaned out... it was only then, when they needed to replace things, they realized how expensive tools are.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
actually they're not... not really... but there are a lot of bases that are doing away with them... don't know why... they're always PACKED when I go there... but yeah... fuck'n awesome benifit
That shop thing is the coolest!!

And Tiger... I would take the bike in under the warrenty and complaign about top end noise and the possible vlv problem. Then talk to the shop about diong the vlv adjustment while its there.

Only reason being the warrenty!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:

And Tiger... I would take the bike in under the warrenty and complaign about top end noise and the possible vlv problem. Then talk to the shop about diong the vlv adjustment while its there.

Hobby Shop FTW! It's great having access to a lift and air tools without buying them!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Yea,that's what I think I'll do. I called the parts dept about the shims and found out they'll be about $100,then The valve cover gasket and o-rings,not to mention a metric feeler gage and any other tools I might need puts it at about half what they'll charge if I have them do it or zero if they can get Suzuki to pay for it. In this case,I think you're right.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

yea-under warranty, make them do it. and watch
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Excessive top end noise... make them do a leak down test to check the valve and the valve clearances. Then they will find the problems and have to at the very least adjust the valves.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote