Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #41
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
See this is what I love and hate about you guys. Facts don't matter at all. I could post the repair info from all six of the tire sites I looked at last night and you still would argue! Oh and I don't think you've ever used a plug because that "bump" goes away in a few miles. Plus,using a "compound difference" as a reason is laffable as we're talking about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of surface area here,usually in the center area of the tire. I don't think traction is going to be an issue...

Anyway,I honestly respect everyone's right to make this decision for themselves and I'm not trying to force anyone into patching their tires. Just giving the facts,pure and simple. As a side note, if all you guys who won't patch newer tires would send them to me I'll pay shipping. Pm me,I'm serious.
I've never used them but I've seen them bigger than 1/4 inch. And it was sticking out nearly 3/8" past the tire. I call it like I see it. You can do whatever you want and I'm not making an argument, Im just stating what I have seen. You asked for opinions and thats what you got, if you don't like stop asking questions. Honestly I thinks it's good for the forum to have different opinions. So if you want to use a plug go ahead, I wont belittle you or make fun of you in anyway, thats your own deal..
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #42
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Ok I checked just about EVERY motorcycle tire website and they all aprove the interior patching of their tires. Most want you to use a plug patch but all agree that the repair must be performed from the inside. They have different provisos,ie; tread depth,location of puncture,size of puncture,etc. In my mind that says it's ok to patch a tire cause you know they all have teams of lawyers who wouldn't allow them to ok repairs of any kind if it wasn't 110% ok. Ofcourse a couple of them grouse about speed, qualified repair facility, etc.

The thing I love the most was the parts guy at the local dealership telling me that he LOVES guys like you 'cause he hasn't purchased a rear tire in YEARS. He just gets the tires you guys bring in with a flat and runs them down to the tire shop down the street (where I went)and has them repaired($5 off the rim). He told me that he's literally gotten tires with less than 200 miles on them.
I was talking about the plugs. NO WAY is that shit safe.

I guarantee if you find a plugged tire that had a blowout or failure of any sort after it was plugged, it will have occurred right on that fucking plug. That doesn't say something to you?

Also, maybe a plug/patch in the center of the tire on someone's bike who does a lot of commuting and no hard riding is not a big deal.... but for ME, riding on the track and fairly aggressively in the twisties, no fucking way am I trusting that shit, especially if it's anywhere away from the center of the tire. If I'm going to be ripping at the edges of my tire with a tiny ass contact patch and the only thing I have to trust is the tire and it's compound, I'm not going to ghetto-fix things.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #43
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

the one flat i did have was on the front, and i just changed the inner tube.

in general tho, id do the inside patch, get it home, find a great deal on tires on the interweb once i got home, and when they showed up i would get the video camera and do rolling burnouts in bleach til i popped it, and then go put my new tire on.

pertaining just to me, if i had a nail or something in my tire, id be pissed off that there was a fucking nail on the track.

ive done all three in my car before. the shops ive been to grind down the nub thats sticks up til its flush with the rest of the tire in my experience. never had one stick out.

"I guarantee if you find a plugged tire that had a blowout or failure of any sort after it was plugged, it will have occurred right on that fucking plug."

nope-not true. yes from experiance, not heresay

Last edited by Dnyce; 04-18-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #44
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
your r1 has what sized rim? if your used to running a 190/50 you should try the 180/55, big difference on the turn in compared to the 190
Yes I'm used to the 190/50. I believe the wheel width is 6". I don't doubt you're right about the turn in but I'll probably stick with the 190 since that's what came on it and I like the look even if it's only slightly wider.

The small hole in the 180/55 tire is definitely near the middle being that she is a newb and was/is just in the learning process...not much leaning was being done at all at the time of the nail pickup.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Yes I'm used to the 190/50. I believe the wheel width is 6". I don't doubt you're right about the turn in but I'll probably stick with the 190 since that's what came on it and I like the look even if it's only slightly wider.

The small hole in the 180/55 tire is definitely near the middle being that she is a newb and was/is just in the learning process...not much leaning was being done at all at the time of the nail pickup.
send it to me!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote