Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default clutch started slipping today ---FIXED

'93 Kawasaki ZR1100 with 24.5K. Oil & filter just changed Friday. Oil and filter has been changed every 3K for the life of the bike ( The first two owners are friends of mine )

The past week, sometimes my takeoffs weren't smooth as the clutch seemed grabby. I siphoned the fluid out of the clutch master cylinder and replaced it with new DOT 4 fluid.

I changed the oil & filter on Friday with Honda brand oil in 20W-50. This was the third change using this oil.

Yesterday, everything was fine. ( 18 miles each way ) Today, a few miles from the house as I was accelerating up a hill, the rpms "jumped" in 4th gear from 4K to 5K so I reduced throttle and rode easier to work.

After work I stopped in town to fill up and when I went to take off from the light, I let out the clutch lever and NOTHING HAPPENED . I was pushing while sitting when it stared moving. I had four miles to get home and it was "interesting" to say the least. Irregular takeoffs and it slipped whenever it wanted.

I did make it home and now it's out to the garage to see what's going on.

Any ideas other than the clutch is fubar?

Jeff

Last edited by '73 H1 Triple; 07-23-2009 at 08:27 PM..
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

think maybe the shift dogs are worn a bit?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Have you been using Honda oil WITH Moly? That's a no no with some wet clutch bikes!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

Clutch cable in proper adjustment / actuation range? Checked the old oil for particulate / metal flakes (i.e. destroying clutch plates / steel)?

To save you some time...

Barnett Performance
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Almost forgot. you changed the fluid, are you sure you didn't get any bubbles/air? No offense but are you sure that Dot4 is the correct fluid? I still wonder if you "accidentally" got the Honda oil with Moly...you wouldn't be the first guy to do it!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
think maybe the shift dogs are worn a bit?
It seemed to shift fine. This is more of a sudden problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Have you been using Honda oil WITH Moly? That's a no no with some wet clutch bikes!
Honda Pro GN-4 Changed at 19K with 20w-50, at 22k with 10w-40 and now at 24.5K with 20w-50.

I still have all the old containers and it says nothing about moly on the label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
Clutch cable in proper adjustment / actuation range? Checked the old oil for particulate / metal flakes (i.e. destroying clutch plates / steel)?

To save you some time...

Barnett Performance
Thanks for the Barnett link. That will probably be what I purchase if it is the clutch itself.

No noticable "extras" in the oil and nothing in the bottom of the drain pan.

No clutch cable as it's hydraulic. I need to check range of motion. It did feel different before I pulled the cover off the left side. Maybe I'll put it back on and recheck and maybe bleed some fluid thru before I disassemble the clutch.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Almost forgot. you changed the fluid, are you sure you didn't get any bubbles/air? No offense but are you sure that Dot4 is the correct fluid? I still wonder if you "accidentally" got the Honda oil with Moly...you wouldn't be the first guy to do it!
I have a big siphon that I used to pull the fluid out of the reservoir. I did not touch the clutch lever until I refilled it.

I'm positive it's DOT 4 as it is cast into the cover for both the brakes and the clutch. ( but thanks for asking )
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
I have a big siphon that I used to pull the fluid out of the reservoir. I did not touch the clutch lever until I refilled it.

I'm positive it's DOT 4 as it is cast into the cover for both the brakes and the clutch. ( but thanks for asking )

Hey just a thought... it's the suddenness of it that puzzles me, besides I always had the clutch give me grief in the higher gears first before it went out completely. It just seems that it has to be something to do with the fluid or the oil, you know? If you used synthetic or oil with friction modifiers in the last change, it would take a while to affect the clutch, so that made sense to me. Oh well, good luck bro! You can try bleeding the clutch system just in case.... it definitely takes less time than taking it apart.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
It seemed to shift fine. This is more of a sudden problem.

Honda Pro GN-4 Changed at 19K with 20w-50, at 22k with 10w-40 and now at 24.5K with 20w-50.

I still have all the old containers and it says nothing about moly on the label.

Thanks for the Barnett link. That will probably be what I purchase if it is the clutch itself.

No noticable "extras" in the oil and nothing in the bottom of the drain pan.

No clutch cable as it's hydraulic. I need to check range of motion. It did feel different before I pulled the cover off the left side. Maybe I'll put it back on and recheck and maybe bleed some fluid thru before I disassemble the clutch.

Thanks
When was the last time you replaced the springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
When was the last time you replaced the springs?
Hey that's a thought, maybe you had a spring break? hell, or the clutch basket, a plate, etc... hmmm....