Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Heart Of The West ride planning

Hey, I know I posted this on TWFix Facebook wall, but figured there may be a few of us that don't use facebook and might be interested. so here goes...

I'm planning a ride that follows this route:

through six states in the American West:

Colorado
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming

Don't worry about purchasing the maps, I'll take care of it.

For those that are very new, or just suck at off road (me) I would like to try something I've done on a couple day long rides. Everyone rides independent. that means on this trip, everyone carries their own camp setup, spares, etc. we set up the daily goals, gas, food, camp/hotel distances and set out. gas/food you didn't have to wait, but just made sure we knew where everyone was gonna be if we needed. distances will be about 200 miles a day, and you can accomplish it as fast/slow as you want. This will allow those like myself who not only suck off road, but also like to take photos to do so, without feeling like I am slowing down anyone... and also gives you that isolation feeling if you should want it... you can if you agree with someone travel right with them... all up to you. The daily distances are the only non negotiable part... once they're voted on by the group... and we set off, that's where we'll stay (obviously except emergency cases arise)

This is from their FAQ site (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bwbjROiY0/edit)
Quote:
What kind of route is it?

Heart of the West Adventure Route is a loop. That means travelers can access and exit it from any direction, and at any number of locations. You can begin and end at the same locale if you wish.

It follows unpaved backroads through remote areas of six Western states. It is a backcountry-travel experience, not an enduro, off-roading or four-wheeling experience.

The route follows public roads, so vehicles must be street legal. They also must equipped to travel long distances on unpaved surfaces of varying quality … everything from hard-pack natural dirt to gravel, sand, silt and mud.

Travelers are immersed in some of the most unpopulated and beautiful wildlands in the American West -- mountains, valleys, canyons, forests and deserts -- including the northern Rocky Mountains, Great Basin and Colorado Plateau.

The journey will take you deep into American history as well, following lonely stretches of the:

Oregon Trail
Transcontinental Railroad
Pony Express/Overland Stage route
Lincoln Highway

Is it suitable for dual sport/adventure bikes and SUVs, pickups and such?

Yes! While there are rough sections, it is not a technically challenging route.

The route has been traveled on the full range of motorcycles -- 250s to 1200s -- and SUVs capable of off-pavement travel. We use a Toyota 4Runner SUV and a Kawasaki KLR650 motorcycle.

How difficult is it?

On a difficulty scale of easy, moderate and difficult, we rate 75 percent of the route easy to moderate overall for experienced dual-sport and adventure-motorcycle riders. There are limited segments that some we rate moderate or even difficult.

We rate the entire route easy for travelers in four-wheeled vehicles despite some rough segments. These ratings could change substantially in wet conditions, when dirt roads can become muddy, slick and eroded.

There is no single-track riding, and no technical four-wheeling.

All travelers must be knowledgeable about, and prepared for, risks that are inherent in traveling remote unpaved roads far from help. Fuel, water, food, repair and medical services often will be far away.

How long is it? Can it be shortened? How much time is required? a

The full route is approximately 2,800 miles/4506 km. The entire route requires up to 15 days, depending on how far you travel each day. Some days are slower, and cover shorter distances due to more travel on backcountry roads. Other days are faster and cover greater distances due to segments that include paved roads and good-quality unpaved roads. Expect to average 200 miles per day, even a bit more, to do the entire route in a 14-day trip. That is a full day for off-highway travel.

Layover, rest, or repair-and-maintenance days would add time.

Depending on your needs, it may be possible to shorten the route in some way, or to travel it in segments to accommodate limited time schedules. However, doing so may require adding segments of highways, two-laned paved roads, or maintained gravelled roads to make necessary connections. Those segments may have less appeal than the original route.

What is the longest distance between fuel stops?

Distances between fuel stops are within the range of any SUV or pickup truck.

Most, but not all, of the distances are within the range of motorcycles equipped for long-distance travel. You must know the distance your bike can travel before running out of fuel. Some segments require motorcycles to have supplementary fuel capacity.

The longest segment is approximately 310 miles, if you choose an optional 100-mile segment. Travelers who explore beyond the designated route may need even more fuel. (The track file we provide includes a waypoint and telephone number for an unreliable fuel source along the 100-mile optional segment.) Without that segment, then you will need fuel capacity for upwards of 230 miles. Most of the route has much shorter distances between fuel stops.

Our track file for the route includes numerous fuel/food/lodging waypoints. There are towns along the way, or in proximity to the route, where such services are available.

What are the roads like?

Road quality ranges from county-maintained dirt and gravel to high-clearance, hard-pack 2WD Forest Service roads, and primitive, unmaintained natural-surface two-tracks. Some receive regular maintenance, some do not. Some receive no maintenance. Most are subject to damage and deterioration from weather. Few would be considered all-weather roads. There are occasional paved sections necessary to connect the dirt sections. Road conditions include occasional sand, silt, ruts, mud and rocks. Some sections will be steep and eroded, perhaps even washed out.

There are no single-track, four-wheeling or ATV-type trails.

When is the best time to travel the route?

Mid- to late September consistently provides the best conditions. By then, summer rains typically have diminished, temperatures have cooled, aspen and cottonwood trees are turning color, and mosquitoes are gone. But nights are getting cold. June is a rainy month. By October, typically a dry month, nights will be quite cold in the mountain valleys. Hunters may be out and about as well.

The varied elevations, lingering snow, and wet, unsettled weather make spring too early. Some roads remain closed until summer.

Summers are hot and windy, and the air in places may be smoky from wildfires. Roads often don’t dry out adequately until mid-July. Afternoon storms are common in June, July and August.

Wildfires and logging of beetle-killed forests may require rerouting of some segments.

What about campsites, motels and other lodgings?

There are many of both. There are rustic mountain lodges, as well as independent and chain motels in towns. The track file includes waypoints for several lodges, some of which have agreed to discount pricing.

Since the route focuses on travel across public lands managed by the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service, there are countless camping opportunities. They range from abundant and free, but primitive, “dispersed” campsites with fire rings but no other amenities; to state and national parks with fee sites that include tables, water and vault toilets.

Waypoints for many campsites are included in the track file we provide.

Can a support vehicle be used by motorcycle travelers?

Yes, if it is a high-clearance vehicle with skid plates, all-terrain tires and -- just in case -- four-wheel drive. Towing a standard camp trailer would be inadvisable on many segments, although there may be bypasses around the rougher sections.

Are there motorcycle shops in towns along the way?

At various places. Idaho Falls, Idaho, which is directly on the route, has several. Greater Salt Lake City has many. There are many others as well. However, MC shops typically stock few if any parts, including tires. The track file we provide does not include waypoints for motorcycle or automotive repair services.

Is there cell-phone service? Do we need a satellite phone?

For much, if not most, of the route, cell service is available. We’ve had unreliable results using a satellite telephone, and do not carry one.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Here are some photo's on the route

Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Seriously I am in.

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dReWpY View Post
Seriously I am in.
is there a time frame that works better or worse for you?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
dReWpY
RIP REX

Just need time to tell work any works for me

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well this was short lived... My brother just moved his wedding... now one is 8/23 and the other 10/10...

no matter how I work it... that's a lot of time off in a short period of time.

so... 2014? LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

That's cool, but there's tons of other western rides you can do that won't take as long. Steve Farson has written the Complete Guide To Motorcycling Colorado: http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20863 that has 172 different trips. And most of them are paved.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
dReWpY
RIP REX

Any chance you want to sell the DRZ?

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dReWpY View Post
Any chance you want to sell the DRZ?
A VERY good chance. hit me up in PM
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
That's cool, but there's tons of other western rides you can do that won't take as long. Steve Farson has written the Complete Guide To Motorcycling Colorado: http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20863 that has 172 different trips. And most of them are paved.
Sweet! thanks... I'll look ya up when I get to colorado and get situated... I'll be there 1 April, but figure it'll be late April before I have a weekend to ride, with unpacking and training.