Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Did you guys see Duffee/Overeem? WTF are they thinking anymore?
It was a mismatch, but the fight was assembled on very short notice. Overeem was just weeks off his K-1 win and Duffee was the only guy to step up from a long list of offers. It was a good opportunity for him and his stock didn't take much of a hit losing to someone like Overeem.

The New Year's Eve Dynamite card was pretty good overall. I liked the K-1 vs MMA theme, even though some of the matches were very lopsided with strange rules. Mousasi knocking down Kyotaro (a heavyweight kickboxing champion who had just gone the distance with Semmy Schilt) was awesome.

Poor, poor Aoki, though...
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I had 3 months of Showtime for free from DirecTv but it expired in December.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

1) I don't think the UFC has had too many fights this year, I just think they tried to SELL too many fights this year. PPV's are great and worthwhile, but especially now with two new weight classes, more TV deals should be in the works. I disagree heavily with the UFC cutting guys... fuck that. GROW the business with some of those guys that can still put on a show, but maybe aren't the caliber of the top guys. PPV's for title fights and toss the REAL interesting matches in there, but use cable TV for once a month specials with a solid headliner to draw views and run some lesser known guys with some of the lower caliber guys... and jesus christ, put it on a channel I can fucking find. Spike would be perfect.

2) I agree that Strikeforce events are a bit lower on the production scale, but the always have some interesting fights. It's hard to find the fights sometimes too... who the fuck has Showtime?

3) I like the wrestling aspect of the sport. While I'm not a fan of lay and pray, I appreciate the technique and skill it takes to control people like that... It's all part of the evolution of the sport however... BJJ, standup, wrestling, they've all had their time to be the dominant factor... it won't take too long before most everyone's on an even keel and the most well-rounded fighters dominate in every aspect. GSP shows it's already happening.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
The New Year's Eve Dynamite card was pretty good overall. I liked the K-1 vs MMA theme, even though some of the matches were very lopsided with strange rules. Mousasi knocking down Kyotaro (a heavyweight kickboxing champion who had just gone the distance with Semmy Schilt) was awesome.

Poor, poor Aoki, though...
I really believe Mousasi is one of the best pound for pounders anywhere, in any division.
Aoki looked scared from the start - bet he thought after he made it out of the K-1 round he was alright. I still love watching that guy fight - so damn creative with the subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I had 3 months of Showtime for free from DirecTv but it expired in December.
Showtime is free next week on DirecTV I think. I know it is sometime this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
1) I don't think the UFC has had too many fights this year, I just think they tried to SELL too many fights this year. PPV's are great and worthwhile, but especially now with two new weight classes, more TV deals should be in the works. I disagree heavily with the UFC cutting guys... fuck that. GROW the business with some of those guys that can still put on a show, but maybe aren't the caliber of the top guys. PPV's for title fights and toss the REAL interesting matches in there, but use cable TV for once a month specials with a solid headliner to draw views and run some lesser known guys with some of the lower caliber guys... and jesus christ, put it on a channel I can fucking find. Spike would be perfect.

2) I agree that Strikeforce events are a bit lower on the production scale, but the always have some interesting fights. It's hard to find the fights sometimes too... who the fuck has Showtime?

3) I like the wrestling aspect of the sport. While I'm not a fan of lay and pray, I appreciate the technique and skill it takes to control people like that... It's all part of the evolution of the sport however... BJJ, standup, wrestling, they've all had their time to be the dominant factor... it won't take too long before most everyone's on an even keel and the most well-rounded fighters dominate in every aspect. GSP shows it's already happening.
1. To many PPV's for me. One about every 8 weeks or so. I began to notice that whenever somebody had a MMA PPV, so did the UFC.
But I would like to see more cable stuff. Hell have one card a month, featuring a different weight division, starting with the bantam weights and moving up. Not every show has to be 3 hours long. I could find an hour to watch a couple of bouts.
2. Agree. I may be the minority, but I would rather see a great fight between guys I maybe don't know, instead of an OK to boring fight between two great fighters.
3. Agree again.Styles make fights.
Very few single skilled fighters are around much anymore. The guys that are so great at one skill that it makes up for the deficiency of others, are going the way of the dinosaur, quickly.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

The official brackets, though I'm sure they're subject to change:

All good, but could be better. It makes sense that Overeem is immediately paired with the division's number one contender-- and from what I've read, his title will be on the line throughout the tournament-- but it would also be ideal if the matches allowed Fedor potential shots at both Werdum and Overeem. Set up as-is, that can't happen. Fedor defeating Werdum in a rematch and facing Overeem in the finals is tourney gold. Assuming they would be the last two standing, of course.

I would have left Overeem out of the tournament, and had the tourney winner face him for the title. His open spot could be taken by one of the up-and-comers. It's time for Cormier, Johnson, and del Rosario to step into the big leagues, anyway. Cormier vs. Barnett and del Rosario vs. Arlovski could both be very compelling, torch-passing matches.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I agree... It would be nice to add another heavy and make it a 12 man tourney... round robin the last three fighters, fuck it!
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Showtime is free this weekend on DirecTv, and they have the Strikeforce challenger series on tonight.