Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

bTW I know guys that believe you should change your oil before Winter AND after! The oil companies just laugh their way to the bank!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
bTW I know guys that believe you should change your oil before Winter AND after! The oil companies just laugh their way to the bank!
I did that back when the SV was new the first season. Got some good crap out of the engine that way. Now that it's broken in there's no reason.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Yall and storing bikes. Silly willys.

Just buy some cheap ass walmart oil, run for a couple minutes, then drain. No reason to waste money expensive oil just to use for minutes.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
So without the engine even running all those things happen to the oil in your bike? How? Where does this moisture come from? The fuel? Any of it? Aren't those things conditional on the engine running and if so, once the engine is stopped the contamination process stops as well? My thought was that you should change your oil BEFORE storing your bike to prevent the moisture, etc from doing potential damage but since he(and I) didn't the "damage" is already done and changing it now won't help anything imho. At any rate, isn't this just another one of those old tech tips that applied to bikes with cast iron blocks, heads, rings, etc and don't really apply to modern bikes made out of chromed cylinders, aluminum blocks, Ti valves, etc?

You ol' ninja editor!!! I know what emulsion is and it can't happen without the engine running, if it could then new old won't fair any better. BTW if you have that much water in your oil, there's something else going on there chief!!!

Ideally, you should change your oil before storage and not start it again until you're ready to ride.

Emulsion occurs because you run your engine without bringing it up to a hot enough temperature to evaporate any moisture that collects due to temperature changes.

A very small amount of fuel would get by from regular use. Carbon blows by your rings. When that mixes with the moisture from condensation it becomes acidic.

This applies to all engines. However, it really probably wouldn't effect your bike very much. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't happen.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I change my oil shortly after winter is over. It might not be the very first ride of the season but I won't wait too long. It doesn't matter if it had a few miles or a few thousand miles on it, I'll change it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Ideally, you should change your oil before storage and not start it again until you're ready to ride.

Emulsion occurs because you run your engine without bringing it up to a hot enough temperature to evaporate any moisture that collects due to temperature changes.

A very small amount of fuel would get by from regular use. Carbon blows by your rings. When that mixes with the moisture from condensation it becomes acidic.

This applies to all engines. However, it really probably wouldn't effect your bike very much. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't happen.
while the engine is running this happens right? Nothing emulses, gets by or blows by when the engine isn't running, right?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
And what's more is, MOST of these people will sell their bike after only 15-20K miles (if even that)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And what's more is, MOST of these people will sell their bike after only 15-20K miles (if even that)

oh yeah, you know a mc engine is wore out by 15,000 miles don't cha?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
oh yeah, you know a mc engine is wore out by 15,000 miles don't cha?
depends on who owned it, maintenance is a foreign word to some. Granted modern bikes are made much better than 10 or 15 yrs ago so they will run better and prolly last longer.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I don't change mine before storage either.
Run it up to temp in the spring, drain, change filter, add new. Good to go for whatever interval you feel like running.
Buell takes 20W-50. It has the HD Screaming Eagle in it now, will have Amsoil in it when I change it. It's worked for the first 11k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote