Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
MEDIC
WTF

Moto: Uh ... a motorcycle
Default Raising the bars on the R6

Ok I may be interested in raising the bars on the '08 R6 , just for slightly better comfort measures. I buddy of mine raised his bars on a 636 and I was curious if anyone knew of this being available for the R6? and if so would it hurt the handliing of the bike?
this isn't a major issue as where they are right now isn't that big of a deal , just wanted to know the questions listed above ,
thasnks in adance,
Dave

o n sorry if hard to read or any misspelled words , many adult beverages consumed
MEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

one option...http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/vb/index.php
everything I've gotten from these guys has been top notch!

try calling these guys and ask why the fuck they don't make a kit for your bike? http://helibars.com/products.php?cat=14

these don't raise but they change the angle...http://www.vortexracing.com/index.ph...egory=Products

here they are on LP http://s7d2.scene7.com/s7ondemand/br...llipseCatalogL

how about these http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/clipon.cfm

hmm..http://www.convertibars.com/Products...+Next+Step%21+

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 05-15-2008 at 04:57 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

If R1 bars are an option ( I am guessing they are) Heli Bars have a Kit. I am running the Heli bar kit on my Busa great quality and fit/
www.helibar.com
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

My buddy here at work just put helibars on his SV1000 and loves them. I sat on it and it was quite a bit more comfortable. No FZ6, but better.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Woodcraft makes bars that will give you about a 1 inch lift.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC View Post
Ok I may be interested in raising the bars on the '08 R6 , just for slightly better comfort measures. I buddy of mine raised his bars on a 636 and I was curious if anyone knew of this being available for the R6? and if so would it hurt the handliing of the bike?
this isn't a major issue as where they are right now isn't that big of a deal , just wanted to know the questions listed above ,
thasnks in adance,
Dave
If you want to raise them a significant amount, you would have to drop the forks in the triples and put the clipons above the triples probably. I wouldn't recommend it.

The offset clipons tig posted look like they would work but would probably also bend very easily.

I wouldn't worry about comfort, that bike is meant to be ridden hard/aggressively, that's why the clipons are under the triples in the first place. If you want touring comfort I would just get a different bike...

Personally I'm not uncomfortable on mine anyways.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
MEDIC
WTF

Moto: Uh ... a motorcycle

Wow what a response ! Tigger thanks for those links!
Yeah I'm prob not goin to But just wanted to know if there was an option incase I ever did want to raise them. I don't ride it that long to really matter anyways and when I do it's usually just in the twisties , But will it effect the performance of the bike If I did raise/change angle of it?
again thanks everyone for the responses
MEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah I'm prob not goin to But just wanted to know if there was an option incase I ever did want to raise them. I don't ride it that long to really matter anyways and when I do it's usually just in the twisties , But will it effect the performance of the bike If I did raise/change angle of it?

Like always,the makers of the parts swear they are better in "every way", I don't know. I made my bike 10x more comfortable with bar snakes,Oury grips and the heavier bar ends that came with my cruise control.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
If you put the clipons above the triples it will definitely change the bike's performance. Dropping the forks in the triples will effectively change your rake and trail, etc. Turn it would probably quicken up a bit, but there would be downsides too for sure.

As far as simply changing the clipons themselves to ones with a different angle or height but that attach at the same point, the bike's performance would technically not be any different. However the amount of force (and the angle at which you apply it) you would need to give to the handlebars would change, I imagine.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
If you put the clipons above the triples it will definitely change the bike's performance. Dropping the forks in the triples will effectively change your rake and trail, etc. Turn it would probably quicken up a bit, but there would be downsides too for sure.

As far as simply changing the clipons themselves to ones with a different angle or height but that attach at the same point, the bike's performance would technically not be any different. However the amount of force (and the angle at which you apply it) you would need to give to the handlebars would change, I imagine.
Yea personally,I'd go with the Gilles set-up if I were changing things. They look to be easiest to make changes to and put back to stock if the need arose,ie commuting during the week-canyon carving on the weekend. In fact if you get the vario rearsets and the vario bars your life would be about perfect! CEO did you happen to see the rearsets...