Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I trust my kid to go out on his own, do stupid things, make mistakes, and learn to be a productive and responsible adult. I recognize an inherent risk or death or disability is possible when he leaves the house therefore I educate, guide, explain, demonstrate and so forth. Even children are to be held accountable for their own decisions to a point.

As far as the cell phone, I pay the bill so I need to see the minute usage...but I do not need to screen the contents of text messages or incoming/outcoming calls. Then again, I don't leash him when we go out in public.
But Josh, don't you think it's better to protect them, screen their calls, filter their Internet, and keep them from all things that can possibly harm them safely in a bubble...until such time that they set out on their own (like at college), and then they can suddenly discover everything for themselves, overindulge, binge, act recklessly, and go completely off the rails without supervision??

It seems to be the prevailing wisdom...

Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
CasterTroy

Kids are like snowflakes...no 2 are the same

I've got one that I can rely on to do the right thing 99% of the time. And if there's a question....they asked me what to do. I literally could have left a running chainsaw on the coffee table when they were a toddler and they would have never touched it.

I've got one that blazes a trail of their own regardless of the imput they're given or direction. They're doing it her their whether you like it or not.

And I've got one that you can tell how to do something 50 times....and you THINK they heard you...but when they get down to it, have to ask you 3 more times before they "get it"

I have to use 3 different parenting styles all the time.

I say all that because what works for YOUR child won't work for every child. So for someone to be all smug and think they've got the perfect answer for everyone, and that all OTHER parenting styles are stupid....well....ignorant is the NICEST thing that could be said about that person.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Wow, how dumb. Sooner or later they are going to come out with implanted chips with microphones. And then 50 years after that, they'll combine that with a device that allow parents to see everything their kids see.

Technologies like this allows parents to slack off and not worry about being good parents. They don't bother teaching their kid anything about life.......They just rely on monitoring systems like as if they're a dog or cat.

Last edited by Homeslice; 01-10-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

How long until a hacker is able to send this to random peoples phones, and take them over?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Better idea, just don't give your kid a cell phone if it is that much of a problem. If you really "NEED" to give them one, give them one of those little Meego's or whatever they are called now that only let you call/be called by 4 programmed numbers of the parents choosing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

FTW
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post

FTW
yep, if your kid must a cell phone and can't pay for the thing themselves, get em one of these. Kids don't need cellphones, did you have a cell phone growing up?
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
yep, if your kid must a cell phone and can't pay for the thing themselves, get em one of these. Kids don't need cellphones, did you have a cell phone growing up?
I'd prefer my kid had an even better life then I did growing up, you know?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I'd prefer my kid had an even better life then I did growing up, you know?
How's a cell phone going to make their life better? That's pretty materialistic outlook. Giving them shit in a fucking hand basket will not make their life better and has a good possibility of making their life worse.
Quote:

Last edited by Trip; 01-11-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
How's a cell phone going to make their life better? That's pretty materialistic outlook. Giving them shit in a fucking hand basket will not make their life better and has a good possibility of making their life worse.
Hold on dude, you're making some assumptions here. The largest being that my kid doesn't work his ass off for everything he gets. He may only be 6 but you better believe he sweats when he does chores, yard-work, or whatever I tell him to do. No, I'm not kidding, everyone pulls their weight in this home.

Aside from that, a cell phone isn't just a material object it is a connection to the entire world from wherever you are. Personally, NOT being able to get in touch with someone got me in some fucked up situations as a kid...try 16 years old in a tricked out car with rims and completely LOST in East St. Louis. Or jumping a half-pipe with friends on BMX bikes and having one hit his head. I could go on forever, but you get the idea.

Safety issues aside, cell phones and part of our fabric now. There was a time when people were saying that kids didn't need electricity because it wasn't around when they were young. From my POV having a cell phone is as essential to my daily life as a wallet. When he's old enough to start going places on his own or with friends then he can earn a phone.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote