Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #101
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
No it's dumb to work a job that pays less then minimum PLUS EARNED TIPS and then complain when you don't get tips because they were NOT EARNED. you take the position saying i think i can bust ass and make big coin and if a patron feels you haven't EARNED a large tip you feel slighted. (i do not mean you personally here just a server in general)

you take a less then minimum job knowing you may actually make less then minimum wage unless you EARN THE TIPS
This isn't about crappy servers not making money, its about good servers getting screwed over by tightwads. No one is arguing that you should tip your server no matter how bad their service was.

This relates to added gratuity, usually for large parties, which is a management effort to stop large parties from taking all their server's time and then fucking them on the tip...which is very common with large parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
just a thought here but maybe you get great service 90% of the time because you return to establishments where you recieve great service?

i know i do. i even request certain servers when I go. great service, great tip, and I'll make sure to get your table next time. it's a reciprocating thing.
Yes, I've never said anything counter to that.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #102
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Theres a difference between hard and serving tables too..
Again, have you ever done it? At a real place, not TGI Friday's? In the middle of tourist season?

And I said ONE of the hardest jobs, not THE hardest.

Dunno why we're even arguing. Nobody here is trying to say that tips are mandatory.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #103
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Dunno why we're even arguing. Nobody here is trying to say that tips are mandatory.

Welcome to TWFix.

That was the whole point of this thread but unfortunately it was forgotten long ago.

The restaurant in the original post did just that. By agreeing with their decision you agree with a mandatory tipping policy.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #104
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:

Did you really think I come here to agree with people?

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #105
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Can you prove it was his fault for being late? What if it was the cook's fault or his manager's fault? If so why does the driver deserve to get stiffed?

These guys use their own car and their own gas, and often get held up at gunpoint for money........and you stiff them without any proof that it was their fault. Nice. How about maybe calling the manager and asking for a discount instead? That way the driver isn't affected.
Here's a new tactic that's been used by delivery guys around my place for the last couple of years; say that you can't make change. There you are with a $20 bill, for a $12 pizza, and he can't make change.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #106
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Welcome to TWFix.

That was the whole point of this thread but unfortunately it was forgotten long ago.

The restaurant in the original post did just that. By agreeing with their decision you agree with a mandatory tipping policy.
When I said mandatory I meant as if there was a law requiring tips anyplace, anytime. There isn't and there never should be. What you're talking about is one particular restuarant who must have had prior experience with this bitch, and told her she had to tip. At that point she has a choice, she can leave and go somewhere else that doesn't know what a cheap, argumentative bitch she probably is.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #107
shmike
Follower

Quote:
When I said mandatory I meant as if there was a law requiring tips anyplace, anytime. There isn't and there never should be. What you're talking about is one particular restuarant who must have had prior experience with this bitch, and told her she had to tip. At that point she has a choice, she can leave and go somewhere else that doesn't know what a cheap, argumentative bitch she probably is.

Or she can make a stink about it.

Since she is cheap and argumentative which do you think she'll choose?

I'm all for private businesses enacting whatever policies they deem best for business but it should be fair (or at least APPEAR to be).
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #108
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Here's a new tactic that's been used by delivery guys around my place for the last couple of years; say that you can't make change. There you are with a $20 bill, for a $12 pizza, and he can't make change.
Sounds like what a stripper told me years ago when I was dumb enough to pay for a lap dance
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #109
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Sounds like what a stripper told me years ago when I was dumb enough to pay for a lap dance
... and dumb enough to not go to a strip joint with a horse-chokingly big wad of singles, wrapped up in a hundred.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #110
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I'm a notorious over-tipper, but I'm not shy about giving no tip when there has been no service.
Same here. I believe it's earned and if you didn't provide me good service, there won't be a tip.

I do despise tip jars at counters. Taking my order at a register and handing it to me, is not tip-worthy service.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote