Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #51
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Cheap used bike that already had all the mods I wanted, and it's a good commuter unlike the 600's I owned.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #52
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I had my 600 and was ok with how it moved, but it bored me. The major reason for the 1000 is just compensating for a small penis. well not really, its more a sentimental attachment to my first ZX1000 and I'm just now getting the new one to make me happy in having one again.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #53
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I love ya Ed, but sometimes I think youre on crack. Unless Im at the track and constantly running my RPMS up on purpose (like never going higher than 3rd), my 600 NEVER gets that high. Running on the streets, even at levels I shouldnt be, its still never higher than 6-8...and NEVER sees 10-12 on the street.
But what about highway trips? If I run on the highway for more than 30 minutes, buzzing at 7K rpm gets old, especially with an aftermarket exhaust. So for me a 750 or 1000 is better because the revs are lower.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #54
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
liter twin=small penis

No, kidding.

sat on a superhawk in a showroom once, and it "fit". I'm oddly proportioned - short legs, long body. so 'fitting' on a bike I'm spending all day on was important. and keeping up with Louie was important. This did both. And it was the right price. I could sell it today for more than I paid for it.
Your legs dont look anywhere short in your pic....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #55
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I was looking around for several weeks on craiglist and countless moto listing sites before and after graduating the MSF course. One or two bikes kept popping up in my area and were gone the next day, so after narrowing down my choices to a couple V stars and Shadows that were 45min+ away my father came home with a newspaper from Shaw AFB.

In it was an ad. for an '01 Shadow Spirit 750. I was intimidated by the 750, but enticed that the guy was right around the corner from me. I looked it up and found out it's easy to handle, has a low seat and has 5 gears compared to the 600's that have 4. My father told me a friend of his that rides says he didn't like the Yamaha he had, and that I should check this out (a V star was at the top of my list). Took a drive to the guy's place and saw it was taken care of, and has some blue LED lights for night riding. The price was right, and the mileage was low. Baring in mind how fast bikes disappear around my area, I took a day to think everything over and ended up taking her home. Hell, the only thing I don't like about it is how quiet it is, but that'll be taken care of soon.

It's interesting seeing everyone's replies.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #56
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I love ya Ed, but sometimes I think youre on crack. Unless Im at the track and constantly running my RPMS up on purpose (like never going higher than 3rd), my 600 NEVER gets that high. Running on the streets, even at levels I shouldnt be, its still never higher than 6-8...and NEVER sees 10-12 on the street.
My bike isn't happy UNLESS it's at 10-12K RPM, which is sees on the track and sometimes (not very often or for very long) on the street.

I saw the 03 ZX6RR at the bike show and really liked it, but wasn't ready for a 600 at that point. When I did start looking, that was the bike I compared everything else to, so I knew it was the one for me.

Fast forward 1-1/2 years. Without sitting on it, or seeing in person I ordered the 04. I went based solely on my gut that this was THE ONE.

A friend had the 636 he let me ride thinking it would be the same only to find out they are very different. Even still it confirmed that I made the right choice.

One of the many reasons I was drawn to the 600 was because it was a limited production bike, so it was going to be unique.

Price wasn't really a factor since it was the most expensive 600 on the market at that time. But each and every time I ride it, I'm very pleased with my purchase. I won't be selling any time soon because I know nothing out today would make me as happy. Plus it's paid for!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #57
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

A couple reasons for picking my '93 Kawasaki ZR1100. Most important was I had a complete hsitory on the bike since new. My friend Dave purchased it new in '93 and had it until '06. He keeps everything he has perfect. The boss at work bought it from him and he's anal about keeping things nice.

They only had them one year in the USA. They were originally called the "Zephyr" but Ford got their panties in a wad since they had a car by that named ( people are constantly confusing the two ) Kawasaki withdrew the model from the US.

It runs good and has some low end grunt for just putting around. I also like the "old school" look ( plus the price was right)

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #58
JK
noodles... dont noodles..

i wanted the motor. (sv650) useable, reliable, tons of aftermarket and CHEAP! since it was going to see alot of miles, simplicity was key also. didnt want to dissasemble half the bike everytime i wanted to change plugs or oil.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #59
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I liked the usable power band of the SV and liked that I didn't have to take the whole thing apart to change the oil

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #60
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Let's see, here:

I bought the 636 because when I wanted a new 600SS in '03, it was my favorite. Best powerband by a long shot, a rear suspension that is actually meant for a 200 lb man, and mean looks. Honda's I-4s always excited me about as much as the toaster in my kitchen, the R6 powerband was too peaky, and everyone and their brother had a GSXR. To top it all off, the only motorcycle dealer in town that was worth a damn sold Kawasakis. When I found out it would be available in that gorgeous orange in '04, I ordered one.

I bought the GSXR1100 because I wanted something big and torquey, and I got it cheap because it was ugly. I love that damn thing. It's like riding a gigantic muscle.

The ZZR400 I picked up for free because it was abandoned and the wife was in love with it. It sat in a parking lot exposed to the elements for three years before I tore it down and rebuilt it. It runs fantastically now and really is a brilliant little bike.