Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards
Default Hopper to RIDE.....

"The Californian will ride a Stiggy Honda CBR1000RR in the World Superbike Championship, beginning with the next round in Valencia."

TWO Americans fighting for the WSBK Championship...can it get better!?

March 19, 2009 - 12:39 PM
Hopkins To Stiggy Honda
John Hopkins will race World Superbike in 2009
By: Paul Carruthers

After a tumultuous off-season in which he saw his factory Kawasaki MotoGP ride disappear, John Hopkins is set to go racing again. The Californian will ride a Stiggy Honda CBR1000RR in the World Superbike Championship, beginning with the next round in Valencia.

Hopkins will make his World Superbike debut alongside teammate Leon Haslam, April 3-5 in Valencia Spain. He will test prior to the first race at Almeria in Spain.

Hopkins was set to start the second year of a two-year contract with Kawasaki when the factory announced on January 9 that they were pulling out of the MotoGP World Championship. He has since settled with the team.

Hopkins finished on the podium four times in the 2007 MotoGP Championship en route to finishing fourth in the title chase on a factory Suzuki. Hopkins then moved to Kawasaki, but ended the 2008 championship in 16th place after suffering with myriad of injuries. His teammate Anthony West was worse off, ending the season 18th on the ZX-RR.

Although he doesn't have any World Superbike experience, Hopkins does have racing experience with production-based sportbikes - with three victories and a title in AMA 750cc Supersport and two victories and a championship in AMA Formula Xtreme in his resume. Those wins and titles came on Suzukis before Hopkins made the jump to the World Championship, starting in 500cc Grand Prix racing in 2002 when he left AMA racing to ride a Red Bull-backed Yamaha owned by Bob MacLean.

According to sources, Hopkins will continue to be backed by Monster Energy, Alpinestars, Arai and Spy Optics.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/ro...o-stiggy-honda
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Good for John. I always like his style of riding but he never had decent equipment under him to give him a shot at winning.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Good for John. I always like his style of riding but he never had decent equipment under him to give him a shot at winning.
Best chance he's had...Haslam better up his game
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXXsquO_xN4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXXsquO_xN4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Good for him.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx View Post

"The Californian will ride a Stiggy Honda CBR1000RR in the World Superbike Championship, beginning with the next round in Valencia."

TWO Americans fighting for the WSBK Championship...can it get better!?
I'm glad he found a ride.

I'm also glad to see another talented American on the grid.

I think it is a bit premature to say he is fighting for the championship. Hopper needs to prove himself first.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Haslam better pick it up Hell Hopper knows most of the tracks. Once he gets used to the tires and finds a baseline set up Checa and Kiyonari better step it up.

Really, a couple weekends to get used to his bike and crew will see Hopkins running well and even though the talent level is pretty deep know I wouldn't be suprised to see him podium or at least be a consistent threat to podium...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

I think it is a bit premature to say he is fighting for the championship. Hopper needs to prove himself first.
A YEEEE of little faith
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

prove that his injuries are healed yes... prove that he can ride? no... not IMHO... dudes always had shitty bikes... even the suzy was shit when he rode it.

I think he needs to get his confidence back... and I'm glad to see him in SBK... less reason to watch MotoGP IMO
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

I think the big difference between GP & WSB is ease of setup, in WSB all you do is adjust the suspension and pick a tire, which IMO is much easier than additionally having to setup engine management and gear ratios in the transmission.

So, I think we'll get to see how fast Hopper is, and not so much that the bike sucked.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote