Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default IMS tank = fail

These are apparently very reliable tanks. Mine isn't I guess. *shrug*

Was doing some last minute stuff to the KLR this morning, and I bumped the tank barely. It started dumping fuel as fast as it could. I scrambled to get it off and once I did, found this.

For reference, this location is on the underside of the tank, where it sits on a rubber pad against the backbone of the frame.

I didn't get the tank from IMS. I got it from an individual new in the box. I'm going to call them to make sure they know about this, but I don't expect I'll get anywhere with a replacement. Not sure I'd want it anyway. I have the stock tank still, and it's already on the bike.

I sure am glad this happened in my garage rather than north of Fairbanks. I think this would be one of the few things I couldn't fix on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMS.jpg (44.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Makes you wonder if you got fucked by the guy you brought it from, I have never heard a bad thing about IMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Yeah, it's hard to imagine someone buying an aftermarket tank and then selling it without ever using it, unless he knew it was damaged and wanted to pass his misfortune onto someone else.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

That sucks.

I've gotten some dodgy tanks from IMS in the past, (surface imperfections, fitment issues and tons of crap inside from when they drilled the petcock hole) but I never had one fail that bad.

I've used Clarke's on my D/S stuff for a while now, they seem to me, to have a better build quality than the IMS units.

JC
Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Just out of curiosity, what kind of paint did you use on it? (Not saying that was the cause of your problem, although IMS might...)

JC
Old 07-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

didn't know you got it second hand... hopefully that didn't have something to do with it.

I've been more than happy with my IMS, and it's been bashed many times, as I'm not the greatest off road rider. it even lasted 1000miles with my radiator guards rubbing the tank before I trimmed the guards down. very little mark made.... My model is quite thick, though in the location of your crack, I'm not sure of the thickness...

I'd be willing to bet you got a bad tank... I'd give IMS the chance to replace it.... I doubt the paint will cause an issue, as most advertisements I saw stated "paintable" so I don't think they could cry foul...

but hell yes... good thing that shit happened now!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
That sucks.

I've gotten some dodgy tanks from IMS in the past, (surface imperfections, fitment issues and tons of crap inside from when they drilled the petcock hole) but I never had one fail that bad.

I've used Clarke's on my D/S stuff for a while now, they seem to me, to have a better build quality than the IMS units.

JC
I had fitment issues, for a bit... but after about 15k, the tank settled, swelled and fit perfectly... Did have an issue when they first put on the tank (at the dealership) crap got caught in the carb.... but cleaned that out and never had another issue.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I had fitment issues, for a bit... but after about 15k, the tank settled, swelled and fit perfectly... Did have an issue when they first put on the tank (at the dealership) crap got caught in the carb.... but cleaned that out and never had another issue.
Yeah, I'm not saying they are terrible or anything, but as a former full-time mechanic, I kinda needed them to fit now, not 15K from now.

Fucked up carbs is ultimately the dealers fault. Should have blown it out with air before the install.

JC
Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Yeah, I'm not saying they are terrible or anything, but as a former full-time mechanic, I kinda needed them to fit now, not 15K from now.

Fucked up carbs is ultimately the dealers fault. Should have blown it out with air before the install.

JC
lol yeah I'm not sure how they got all the bolts in... first time I took it off, only two would go back in, and that took an hour of fuck'n with it. I think I had it off another 10-15 times before I got all 4 to line up... now, it'll go on perfectly, WITH my Unibiker rad guards... (couldn't even get it to sit right with them on before)

and yeah, I would have blown it out or ran some water through (and let it dry) before putting it on...

but I agree... Clarke, from what I've seen has been very good. almost switched to one when I couldn't get the Unibikers to fit with the IMS...
Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Duct tape woulda fixed that shit right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote