Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
p00kienrayray
dope fiend

Moto: JICKSIR SICKS HUNNERD
Default Riding Gear that SUCKS

It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Teknic violator boots...ugly and very cheaply made.
p00kienrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00kienrayray View Post
It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Teknic violator boots...ugly and very cheaply made.
Ive heard a lot of people say that teknics boots are cheap.

My hjc was ok, but then I tried on an x11 which is better quality in my opinion and fits me a lot better so its no comparison between the two.

I also have a pair of joe rocket atomic gloves that while they are very comfortable, the stitching on them sucks. The velcro on one glove is coming off and I had a seam pop on the other glove and Ive never been down with them on. They werent very expensive and it shows. I now haw a* gauntlets that I love and will be ordering some a* short cuffs very soon.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

ill second that joe rocket gloves are CRAP. comfy but they do not last at all
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Not a fan of Icon Halo series Helmets. The plastic vents on mine broke soon after I got it (without being dropped). Visor always fogged on me, and it was hot as all hell. The pads all compressed more than expected (helmet was very snug when I first bought it).

On the plus side it did hold up well in a crash, just everything else sucked about it.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

anything Icon - especially the woman's "gear" which, personally, I think isn't even safe to walk around in.

Teknic Violator boots I have to disagree - I'm on my second pair, several race get offs, no foot/ankle injuries and held up during the crash. Comfy to tour in and walk aorund in and the first pair lasted me 3 race seasons and 10,000 street miles (plus endless miles of walking around in them).
The ONLY boot for riders with large calves.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
p00kienrayray
dope fiend

Moto: JICKSIR SICKS HUNNERD

honestly i never crashed in the violators, but wearing them, they didnt feel as sturdy as my current sidi b2's. though i did like the fact that they had the screw for the toe slider under the sole.

also i'd like to add any a*s gloves that have the meshed finger tips. damn i swear it seemed like i put a hole in both pairs before it was even broken in.
p00kienrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
ill second that joe rocket gloves are CRAP. comfy but they do not last at all

I'll third that,the Joe Rocket gloves I got last Summer had to be repaired after only a few rides.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Okay you're in MY HOUSE now!!! Hahahaha!
I didn't feel like quoting everyone so here goes;

Nitro ANYTHING!-I've seen a helmet crack from being dropped and the boots have fallen apart during a relatively slow get off.

Joe Rocket Ballistic- JUNK! I've seen one of their jackets fly apart upon first impact. Gloves-junk cheaply made.

Icon-mostly good,sizing could use some work. I have 5 pairs of Icon gloves with 3 sizes. I don't really care for the helmets,I've seen some of the problems described. I've crash tested jackets,boots,gloves,field armor-did the job for me. For the record,I had a pair of A* Gp Tech gloves do the same thing Marko described... As far as the vest,having spent some time in the "stunt world",I've seen quite a few crashed using the Field Armor vest,let's just say that it definitely protects what it covers. If you wore the vest,elbow guards,shorts and knee guards,I would say that you would be properly protected to fall at 30>mph which is the max speed most stunters are going. If you plan on riding any faster than that,You might want to throw on a jacket.

Sparx-$100 w/2 shields...but venting fucking SUCKS!!!! Is cheap,feels cheap.

Zamp-sent it back...nuff said

HJC-love the price,if I had never worn Arai,Shoei or Shark it would be ok but...

Alpinestars-good quality,a few minor problems over the years but their customer service is top notch!

KBC-got the fan-boy Mat Mladin replica...took it back,same as HJC,as long as you didn't know any better...

Akuma-decent helmet,lots of bell but the shield changing mechanism fucking SUCKS!

I think I over did it,
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Okay you're in MY HOUSE now!!! Hahahaha!
I didn't feel like quoting everyone so here goes;

Nitro ANYTHING!-I've seen a helmet crack from being dropped and the boots have fallen apart during a relatively slow get off.

Joe Rocket Ballistic- JUNK! I've seen one of their jackets fly apart upon first impact. Gloves-junk cheaply made.

Icon-mostly good,sizing could use some work. I have 5 pairs of Icon gloves with 3 sizes. I don't really care for the helmets,I've seen some of the problems described. I've crash tested jackets,boots,gloves,field armor-did the job for me. For the record,I had a pair of A* Gp Tech gloves do the same thing Marko described... As far as the vest,having spent some time in the "stunt world",I've seen quite a few crashed using the Field Armor vest,let's just say that it definitely protects what it covers. If you wore the vest,elbow guards,shorts and knee guards,I would say that you would be properly protected to fall at 30>mph which is the max speed most stunters are going. If you plan on riding any faster than that,You might want to throw on a jacket.

Sparx-$100 w/2 shields...but venting fucking SUCKS!!!! Is cheap,feels cheap.

Zamp-sent it back...nuff said

HJC-love the price,if I had never worn Arai,Shoei or Shark it would be ok but...

Alpinestars-good quality,a few minor problems over the years but their customer service is top notch!

KBC-got the fan-boy Mat Mladin replica...took it back,same as HJC,as long as you didn't know any better...

Akuma-decent helmet,lots of bell but the shield changing mechanism fucking SUCKS!

I think I over did it,
my only real gripe with their lids are the plastic buttons that hold the liner in pop loose on occasion
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

timax gloves are the shit. Bout to put mine on in a minute when i get off the train lol