Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure
Default WTF does it mean, "It's too nice to be used"?

I see people buying up Ducatis, Aprilias, MV Agustas, spent even more money modifying the living hell out of these things then go and bought a beat-up SV650 for the track. What the fuck, over? Seriously.

"It's too nice to take it to the track and trash it."

Why, on God's green Earth did you just spend $20K on a bike plus another 3K for suspension refinement and engine tuning and then take the beat up SV/R6/Gixxer to the track?

I haven't gone to the track yet, but you can be sure that I am not going to buy an clapped out bike just so that I can take it to the track.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well I can kinda see that... it's a brain to wallet barrier... they can't ride as fast as they want, push themselves when they know it's gonna cost 10k+ if they go down...

then again 3k worth of suspension upgrades to not use it on the track is kinda dumb imo unless it's bike with shitty suspension... which most 20k+ bikes don't suffer from.

depending on how I like the track... I can see buy'n a track only bike... something that if it goes down I'm still riding where I want... and don't have to pay insurance or title the fucker.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

Well, I look at it like this. They are like the good towels at grandma's house...they are to been seen and not used

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
Well, I look at it like this. They are like the good towels at grandma's house...they are to been seen and not used
to a point... if they don't ride them at all... it's a waste imo...

it may just be me... but I look at bikes and cars in museums and think... damn what a sad life for the bike/car...

I'd rather stare at the ones that have a million miles and think... what has this bike/car seen....
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

When I get a slightly better paying job I intend to buy a KTM Superduke and keep my GSXR as a track bike. I know that the KTM WILL see some track time, but as far as my dedicated track bike I'll keep my GSXR. I want to be able to push myself at the track without thinking about the fact that it's a $15k bike underneath me. Nothing makes you slower than riding a bike you can't afford to crash. Plus right now I've already dropped about $2k into the suspension on the GSXR. So I am already in a position where it's not going out and buying a track bike, I already have it. Part of it is also if I wad the GSXR I'll just drop it off in the dumpster at Jennings. I can't do that with the KTM.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I don't get it either.

I see both come to the track. I have the ones that buy the high-coin toys JUST so they can take it to the track. And, I have others that wouldn't dare take their *nice* toys to the track.

Either way, I wouldn't ever encourage someone to take something to the track they are afraid of. That means, afraid of hurting the bike... afraid of the bike hurting you... afraid of whatever.

If it gets your butt on the track because you can pick up a bike that costs less than the exhaust on your street bike... whatever lets you sleep at night.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
If it gets your butt on the track because you can pick up a bike that costs less than the exhaust on your street bike... whatever lets you sleep at night.
That's my thinking. Yeah, I didn't spend $20k on my bike- still scares the shit out of me that I'll drop it on the track. Whether that fear is founded or not doesn't matter. I'm not riding as fast as I want to/know I can when I'm risking my ONLY bike. That hunk of machinery means a lot to me, and it gets a LOT of use on the street.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I'll one day have a dedicated trackbike, just like I had a dedicated drag car. When I'm at the track, I want to be able to flog whatever I'm on, and like others I don't have several bikes as backup. I'll never be quick as I could be if I'm thinking "wreck this one and you don't have anything else to ride"
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Buy the beater first, get good enough on the track that you aren't constantly afraid of dropping the nice bike.
Then take the nice bike and better appreciate the benefits of what you spent on it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
to a point... if they don't ride them at all... it's a waste imo...

it may just be me... but I look at bikes and cars in museums and think... damn what a sad life for the bike/car...

I'd rather stare at the ones that have a million miles and think... what has this bike/car seen....
Thats why I like Jay Leno, he has a pile of cars and loves to drive them. I see no problem with something being on display but roll the wheels over asphalt every now and then.

As far as the bike goes I think it more they can't afford to dump it at the track. At least they are enjoying some track time.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote