Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Most people don't really realize what fucktards the North Koreans are. Some tidbits from Wikipedia:

Incursions

Since its demarcation, the DMZ has had numerous cases of incursions mostly by the North Koreans, although the North Korean government never acknowledges direct responsibility for any of these incidents[4]. Some instances include:

-17 January 1968: 31 North Korean commandos crossed the border disguised as South Korean soldiers in an attempt to assassinate President Park Chung Hee at The Blue House. The failed mission resulted in 29 commandos killed, one committed suicide, and the last captured. Two South Korean policemen and five civilians were killed by the commandos. Other reports indicated as many as 68 South Koreans killed and 66 wounded, including about 24 civilians. Three Americans were killed and another three wounded in an attempt to prevent the commandos from escaping back via the DMZ[5].
-October 1968: 130 North Korean commandos entered the Ulchin and Samcheok areas in Gangwon-do. Eventually 110 of them were killed, 7 were captured and 13 escaped.
-March 1969: Six North Korean infiltrators crossed the border near Chumunjin, Gangwon-do and killed a South Korean policeman on guard duty.
-October 1969: North Korean infiltrators killed four United States soldiers near the southern boundary of the DMZ.
-April 1970: Three North Korean infiltrators were killed and five South Korean soldiers wounded at an encounter in Kumchon, Gyeonggi-do.
-November 1974: The first of what would be a series of North Korean infiltration tunnels under the DMZ was discovered.
-March 1975: The second North Korean infiltration tunnel was discovered.
-June 1976: Three North Korean infiltrators and six South Korean soldiers were killed in the eastern sector south of the DMZ. Another six South Korean soldiers were injured.
-18 August 1976: The Axe Murder Incident results in the death of two U.S. soldiers and injuries to another four U.S. soldiers and five South Korean soldiers. The incident may not be technically considered an "infiltration" however, as it took place in a neutral zone of the Joint Security Area.
-October 1978: The third North Korean infiltration tunnel was discovered.
-October 1979: Three North Korean agents attempting to infiltrate the eastern sector of the DMZ were intercepted, killing one of the agents.
-March 1980: Three North Korean infiltrators were killed attempting to enter the south across the estuary of the Han River.
-March 1981: Three North Korean infiltrators spotted at Kumhwa, Gangwon-do, one was killed.
-July 1981: Three North Korean infiltrators were killed in the upper stream of Imjin River.
-May 1982: Two North Korean infiltrators were spotted on the east coast, one was killed.
-March 1990: The fourth North Korean infiltration tunnel was discovered, in what may be a total of 17 tunnels in all.
-May 1992: Three North Korean infiltrators dressed in South Korean uniforms were killed at Cheorwon, Gangwon-do. Three South Koreans were also wounded.
-October 1995: Two North Korean infiltrators were intercepted at Imjin River. One was killed, the other escaped.
-April 1996: Several hundred North Korean armed troops entered the Joint Security Area and elsewhere on three occasions in violation of the Korean armistice agreement.
-May 1996: Seven North Korean soldiers crossed the DMZ but withdrew when fired upon by South Korean troops.
-April 1997: Five North Korean soldiers cross the military demarcation line's Cheorwon sector and fired at South Korean positions.
-July 1997: Fourteen North Korean soldiers crossed the military demarcation line, causing a 23-minute exchange of heavy gunfire.
-May 26, 2006: Two North Korean soldiers enter the DMZ and crossed into South Korea. They returned after South Korean soldiers fired warning shots.
-October 7, 2006: South Korean soldiers fire warning shots after North Korean soldiers cross briefly into their side of the border.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Another incident occurred later when a Soviet dignitary, who was part of an official trip to the JSA (hosted by the North), ran across the MDL yelling that he wanted to defect. North Korean troops opened fire and chased him across the line. South Korean troops, protecting the defector, fired back and eventually surrounded the North Koreans. One South Korean soldier was killed in the incident. The defector expressed joy in his successful attempt but was saddened by the loss of life. Since this incident, the North Korean soldiers face one another when guarding the border so that they are keeping an eye on each other. This is to keep them from defecting. They are ordered to shoot anyone who attempts to defect before they reach the line.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Cool shots ebbs

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I'm surprised you were allowed to take any pics at all. I have nothing constructive to add to this topic at all, but I will say history always interested me. Post more pics of this kind of thing as you take em.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well I don't have many day's left in Korea... but you can count on me posting more pics
Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
well I don't have many day's left in Korea... but you can count on me posting more pics
Naked Korean chicks if you're taking requests.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #17
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

awesome photos, the DMZ I am sure is a very eery place.

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80 View Post
awesome photos, the DMZ I am sure is a very eery place.
it is... especially when the North Korean's are standing there... the JSA has been a flash point for a lot of aggressions an really nothing would stop them from attacking... there were 60 QRF (Quick Reaction Force) soldiers that would be armed up and in the JSA with in 60-90 seconds... but one fully automatic weapon would have taken us (the tourists out) as when we were taking the pictures of the North Koreans... they had us lined up on the top steps... in a single file line...

I kept walk'n behind people... moving from side to side... not that it'd help a whole lot if fired upon... but hey...
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
was92v
Nowhere Man

My Dad was there in 1951-52. He was at Panmunjeom during the talks. He told me once that he was standing outside the building when the negotiators marched by going in. He never really talked much about any of it. I think he just wanted to move on after he got back here. My relatives that were in WWII were the same way, they never talked about it at all and if you asked a question you got a very short answer.
After he died, I got a bunch of pics from back then and if I ever get a scanner I am going to burn them to a cd. Most are just daily life pics. It is really interesting to compare then and now pictures, it is like moving from the stone age to the modern times and having pictures of both.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

You notice how every single S.Korean on the MDL is in that modded ready stance? It would suck being on duty up there, ready to go every single second of the day, not just ready to go like the SWAT, but ready to lay a beatdown right that instant. I will give props to those guards for defending their country.

This makes me think about my own situation. Ebbs mentions how the Korean military near him is kind of a joke but those guys at the border are badasses. The ROK at the DMZ aren't just there to collect a paycheck, but they're up there to protect their country. The JASDF aren't allowed to attack anything, JASDF can legally do nothing but defend their country and every single one of them looks they're ready to do just that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote