Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default { How To } Reloading center fire pistol ammo

Here's step by step instruction ( with pics ) on how to load center fire ammo. I'm doing .357 plinking ammo . The press is a single stage RCBC Rock Chucker, part of the Master Kit I got about 17 years ago.

No cliffs, details are too important to skim over. Also, safety glasses would be good to wear at all times.

Click the pictures for large view.

Above is the once fired cases, a set of reloading dies and in the orange case, shell holders.

Notice the titanium ring on the left die. If you have titanium nitride or carbide insert resizing dies, you do NOT have to lube the cases for resizing.

Pick the correct size shell holder ( from the chart and place that in the press ram. Screw in the resizing die until it almost touches and resize you cases.

Check for overall length after resizing. Trim and deburr if necessary.

Next step is to make a slight bell in the case opening. All you need is just enough for the bullet to start. The left and middle cases are belled while the right case is resized only.

Also during this time, check your cases for any defects ( cracks etc ).
If in doubt, throw it out ( like the case below- the end looks funny and it got tossed)

Using a primer pocket brush, clean the primer pocket to remove any burnt residue from the previous primer.

Above is the easiest way I've found to load the primer tool. Open pack to the required amount ( I usually do no more than 50 primers myself ), place the tray over it and while holding them together, turn it over. Remove primer package and make sure all are facing the correct way ( explosive primer compound UP ).
( note-these are large pistol primers which are not correct for .357 cases-- I primed some .44 mag cases )

After you have verified the correct powder, weight of charge for the bullet weight, throw and adjust the charge until it weighs correctly on the scale.

I have found the best way to get a more consistent charge on my powder throw is to "click" the handle twice ( lightly ) where it picks up the powder charge.

I put the primed, bell case under the powder throw and place a charge. I check ever 10th charge on the scale. If it varies , I dump those previous 10 and do it again.

I always work from one tray to another. My primed, belled cases are in the blue tray. I pick one up, place it under the powder throw, place and charge and it goes in the wooden tray. This way if they are handled, they get powder. :thumbs:

Look into each and every case for the same powder level. If it doesn't look right, dump the powder back in the powder throw and do it again. A missing/light charge could lodge a bullet in the barrel and the next round fired could blow up the gun. A double charge could blow up the gun in your hands. Neither is a good thing

Now you will be seating bullets. The main die section height controls the crimping of the bullet and the threaded portion controls the bullet height ( and overall length)

Too much crimp with smash/crinkle the case and not enough crimp will let the bullet move in the case. In the case of a revolver, too light a crimp will allow the bullet during the firing of the other rounds and it may jam the cylinder ( keep it from turning )

Here we are after loading 50 rounds

Be safe, have fun and enjoy
Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

This thread is an ENORMOUS let down when you cant view the pics. FML.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

What kind of bench are you using for this? I'm looking for ideas.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
What kind of bench are you using for this? I'm looking for ideas.

I made the bench myself and designed it so it comes apart easily. ( I made it when I lived at my other house and knew we were going to purchase a different home)

The top is a solid core door about 30" deep and 60" long. The frame is made of 2x4 sides with six 4x4 posts. The posts sit 1-5/8" ( actual thickness of a 2x4) below the top 2x4 with a 2x4 screwed down into the top of the 4x4. This way the top is screwed from the bottom so there are no fasteners from the top.

The shelving is made from 5/4 x 8 white pine.

Would you like me to draw up dimensions of mine?

Jeff
Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post

I made the bench myself and designed it so it comes apart easily. ( I made it when I lived at my other house and knew we were going to purchase a different home)

The top is a solid core door about 30" deep and 60" long. The frame is made of 2x4 sides with six 4x4 posts. The posts sit 1-5/8" ( actual thickness of a 2x4) below the top 2x4 with a 2x4 screwed down into the top of the 4x4. This way the top is screwed from the bottom so there are no fasteners from the top.

Jeff
That's what I think I'm going to have to do for myself when I get into a house (somewhere with real storage). All the premade benches I've seen, which rich in features, are just too stinkin' expensive.

Also... nice collection there. Looks like a 700 BDL Deluxe, 2 Garands, an AR, and a FAL

But no Schmidt Rubin K31?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
That's what I think I'm going to have to do for myself when I get into a house (somewhere with real storage). All the premade benches I've seen, which rich in features, are just too stinkin' expensive.

Also... nice collection there. Looks like a 700 BDL Deluxe, 2 Garands, an AR, and a FAL

But no Schmidt Rubin K31?
What you misidentified as the rem is a mauser 98 in .308 The "FAL" is a L1A1 ( price/value difference )

The remington is in the middle

Ruger MK II in .330 Win Mag
Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag
Win 70 in .270 WBY
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
What you misidentified as the rem is a mauser 98 in .308 The "FAL" is a L1A1 ( price/value difference )
Well, it wasn't a perfect picture
Still, nice collection.
I'd kill for just one of the Garands (maybe the other so I could trade it for a M1903A1)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:

Jeff
Thanks! That is a little bigger than what I wanted or need at this point. Do you have some kind of overhang on the end for clearance on the press?

I actually found a little bench today at a junk store for $20. It is pretty close to what I want. I could easily modify it a bit for little money and it would work for what I need at this point since I'm just getting into reloading.

I just hope the store still has it (had no way of getting it home at the time I saw and wanted hubby or Dad to see first). Hubby and I stopped this evening after hours but thought I could still show him through the window since it was right up front... GONE! I'm hoping they just cleaned it off for me... I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Last edited by racedoll; 04-02-2010 at 09:20 PM..
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Well, it wasn't a perfect picture
Still, nice collection.
I'd kill for just one of the Garands (maybe the other so I could trade it for a M1903A1)
I got each of those M1 garnads from the CMP back in the 90s for $300 each

I like the looks of the M1903A1 but it's one of the most punishing rifles I've ever fired. ( I own three belted magnums too ) The stock was designed to minimize the wood needed to make, rather than shooting comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Thanks! That is a little bigger than what I wanted or need at this point. Do you have some kind of overhang on the end for clearance on the press?

I actually found a little bench today at a junk store for $20. It is pretty close to what I want. I could easily modify it a bit for little money and it would work for what I need at this point since I'm just getting into reloading.

I just hope the store still has it (had no way of getting it home at the time I saw and wanted hubby or Dad to see first). Hubby and I stopped this evening after hours but thought I could still show him through the window since it was right up front... GONE! I'm hoping they just cleaned it off for me... I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
I have a 3" overhang on the front and both sides. I drilled 3/8" holes to mount the press and have 3/8" thick aluminum plate underneath to make it even more steady.

Heavy and rock steady is the key for a good reloading bench. How big of a bench are you thinking of getting? I could modify my design and draw it up. That would give you an idea of how to build one if the one you founf isn't there anymore.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Here's the link to my thread on relaoding rifle ammo
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12777

Jeff