Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
I have a 3" overhang on the front and both sides. I drilled 3/8" holes to mount the press and have 3/8" thick aluminum plate underneath to make it even more steady.

Heavy and rock steady is the key for a good reloading bench. How big of a bench are you thinking of getting? I could modify my design and draw it up. That would give you an idea of how to build one if the one you founf isn't there anymore.

Jeff
Well, the bench I looked at yesterday was indeed sold Oh well, I have an idea on what I want now and how to build it.

I was looking at 2½' deep and 4' long with one or two drawers, a shelf on the bottom and maybe a little shelf up top to mount the powder measure.

Quote:
Here's the link to my thread on relaoding rifle ammo
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12777
Jeff
Thanks. At this point I'm just going to reload mainly 380, some 9mm and probably some 38 special. The latter two I'll have to do at Dad's since I don't have dies for them. If we like doing it, then I'll pick up my own set.

My Dad is going nuts with "his little girl" wanting to reload.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Well, the bench I looked at yesterday was indeed sold Oh well, I have an idea on what I want now and how to build it.

I was looking at 2½' deep and 4' long with one or two drawers, a shelf on the bottom and maybe a little shelf up top to mount the powder measure.
I did a very quick drawing in "paint" on how I constructed my bench. I altered it to how I would make a 30" x 48" reloading bench.

Not sure if you're proficient in reading blueprints but the left view is looking down from the top and the right view is looking at it from the side.

left view
Each of the brown lines represent 2x4's set vertically, the red lines are 4x4's and the green are 2x4 set flat. I would have 3" of overhang on both sides and the front. The back would be flush.

The length of the long 2x4 would be 42" ( 48-3-3= 42) and the sides would be 23-3/4" ( 30-3-1*5/8-1*5/8= 23-3/4" ). The top would require two pieces 42" long and FIVE pieces 23-3/34. Two would make up the ends and the other three would lay flat over the 4x4s with a center one mounted flush to the top.

I screwed two decks screws into each end of the 2x4s to make the outer frame. Then two more screws into the 4x4 from both outer edges. The flat 2x4s are screwed down and also screwed into the outer frame.

right view
The bottom 2x4's are the base for a sheet of plywood which would sit on top. Simply screw the frame into the legs from the inside and lay the plywood on top. Notice the center support.

Now you may be wondering why I have 2x4s laid flat. When you put you top on, you can secure it from underneath with the correct length screws and don't have bolt heads on the top.

Here's a picture of the support plate under my press

Quote:
Thanks. At this point I'm just going to reload mainly 380, some 9mm and probably some 38 special. The latter two I'll have to do at Dad's since I don't have dies for them. If we like doing it, then I'll pick up my own set.

You could probably use the .380 dies to load 9mm if you adjust the dies. The case length of a .380 is .670 and the case length of a 9mm is .754

Saying that, it is extremely important that you use the correct bullet weights and powder measurement for each caliber.

Feel free to ask any questions

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I did a very quick drawing in "paint" on how I constructed my bench. I altered it to how I would make a 30" x 48" reloading bench.

Not sure if you're proficient in reading blueprints but the left view is looking down from the top and the right view is looking at it from the side.
You rock! And yes - I can kind of read blueprints. Don't do it very often, but I did learn some of that in school (engineering major).

Quote:
You could probably use the .380 dies to load 9mm if you adjust the dies. The case length of a .380 is .670 and the case length of a 9mm is .754

Saying that, it is extremely important that you use the correct bullet weights and powder measurement for each caliber.

Feel free to ask any questions

Jeff
I don't think you can since there are differences in the diameter of the case, not just length. But what do I know... I just rather not take my chances when it isn't necessary.

Heck even the shell holder is a different number, but whatever.

Yep. To start I'm focusing on the 380 since I only have 5 rounds left and can't find any factory ammo. Plus I don't have a 9mm other than hubby's and I don't really care for it. I can't afford the one I want just yet, maybe by the end of summer.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:

Of course.
That's total bragging rights.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
You rock! And yes - I can kind of read blueprints. Don't do it very often, but I did learn some of that in school (engineering major).

I don't think you can since there are differences in the diameter of the case, not just length. But what do I know... I just rather not take my chances when it isn't necessary.

Heck even the shell holder is a different number, but whatever.

Yep. To start I'm focusing on the 380 since I only have 5 rounds left and can't find any factory ammo. Plus I don't have a 9mm other than hubby's and I don't really care for it. I can't afford the one I want just yet, maybe by the end of summer.
Tried internet or are you just looking locally for the .380? Or do you just really wanna reload too?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Tried internet or are you just looking locally for the .380? Or do you just really wanna reload too?
Yes, I've tried internet. It is backorder/sold out.
Yes, I've found it locally but when I do you are limited to 1 box.
Yes, I kind of just want to reload. I can save a little bit of money. I get some quality time with Dad in the beginning with him showing me. I will have it more readily available since I like shooting. I don't like limiting my range time because I have to watch how much ammo I have (or don't have).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

not sure what your price range is or your ability, but if you want an easy start, just add 2x4's and plywood, you could go this route.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

.380 ammo at Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...set=ISO-8859-1
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Until you add it to your cart, then you get this message....

Quote:
This item is on backorder. Cabela's estimates it will take 0-1 week to ship this product.
This is what happens on quite a few sites. It appears they have it, but then when you actually go to check out. Oops sorry, out of stock.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Until you add it to your cart, then you get this message....

This is what happens on quite a few sites. It appears they have it, but then when you actually go to check out. Oops sorry, out of stock.
Bummer. Hopefully soon it'll show up again.

Is there a Cabela's within driving distance for you? If so, when you order something, you can have it shipped to the store for free.

The Hamburg,PA location is less than a hour from me and it's a nice ride.