Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

I will say that the impact against the car and the movement of the bike after a verrrry realistic! It's the launch that's the big issue. Physics don't seem to be obeying the laws!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I dunno.. it looks like he still had quite a bit of momentum before coming to a stop.. or it could just be the crappy camera.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

That's ninja skills right there

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Oh boy, here we go.

But would it launch if it were on a treadmill?
I remember that conversation

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I remember that conversation
If the question is would a plane take off without its engine running, if the treadmill had brought it up to a sufficient speed? The answer is yes, since airspeed is the only thing required to generate lift. However, as soon as the plane starts to lift off the treadmill, it would glide back down, and actually fall back a bit, because the treadmill was the only thing giving it its forward momentum.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
If the question is would a plane take off without its engine running, if the treadmill had brought it up to a sufficient speed? The answer is yes, since airspeed is the only thing required to generate lift. However, as soon as the plane starts to lift off the treadmill, it would glide back down, and actually fall back a bit, because the treadmill was the only thing giving it its forward momentum.
Unfortunately that isn't the question. The question comes from the following scenario. A plane is on a "treadmill" trying to take off. This theoretical treadmill accelerates to match the speed of the airplane with the result being the groundspeed of the airplane is 0mph. Will the airplane take off? It is a bullshit question.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Unfortunately that isn't the question. The question comes from the following scenario. A plane is on a "treadmill" trying to take off. This theoretical treadmill accelerates to match the speed of the airplane with the result being the groundspeed of the airplane is 0mph. Will the airplane take off? It is a bullshit question.
Yep - no different than saying "if a plane's brakes were adequate to hold it still and the pilot applied full throttle, would it take off?" Completely implausible, however, change "brakes" to "treadmill" and suddenly it's a raging internet debate with physics experts pouring in from all directions.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't. Doesn't matter WTF the treadmill is doing. As long as the plane has its own motive power (engines) and it reaches sufficient airspeed, it will take off.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't. Doesn't matter WTF the treadmill is doing. As long as the plane has its own motive power (engines) and it reaches sufficient airspeed, it will take off.
That's just it! The plane isn't moving! There IS no airspeed! The only things moving are the treadmill and the wheels which are only rotating. I don't quite think you understand why planes fly. The motor and propeller and wheels have nothing to do with it!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
That's just it! The plane isn't moving! There IS no airspeed! The only things moving are the treadmill and the wheels which are only rotating. I don't quite think you understand why planes fly. The motor and propeller and wheels have nothing to do with it!
The only difference would be the wheel bearing speed since they are freely rotating and the propeller or jet engine thrust is what actually makes the plane fly.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote