Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Xmas ride

So I'm planning a ride up to my parents for Xmas... it'll only be one way as I'm picking up my girlfriends truck and driving it home...

I plan to leave about the 20th or 21st of Dec... I'm taking my time so not sure how long it'll take me... but I'm meeting my Girlfriend in Soux Falls on the 23rd... so I may go all the way to Fargo then come back down...

figure I'll leave as early as possible... ride as far as I want... and get a room. repeat. figure I'll get 5-600 miles in the first day... no rush... all back roads... staying of the freeway almost completely the entire trip. should be around 1700 miles so it'll kill off my D606's good thing I'm not riding back down!

My steed will be my 09 DRZ400s...

So heated gear is pretty much out of the question with the limited power of the stator. but as I've been riding it every day in the high 40's I think I'll be alright with a couple layers, frequent stops, and a naughty pic of my girl on the bars to keep me warm

Right now I need to:
get a balaclava
make some hand protectors(from the wind)... thinking of seeing if I can find some of that thick canvas type material... something like these

or something like this
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hippo-hands/

invest in some wind proof pants
figure out a luggage system... almost burnt a hole in my Cortechs on the way to work (15 miles) cause they sat on the exhaust

that's pretty much it.

that's the over view...

here's my plan in a bit more detail

any input?

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 11-24-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I went riding yesterday in 48 degrees. Even with my Hippo Hands, long johns, and two wind block sweaters under my leathers, I was cold. And it's a dry cold here. In the end of December in the humid Midwest, you can run into some fierce winter storms. Sub-zero temps, blinding snow, ice, freezing drizzle, and wind that can blow you over, or blow snow onto a clear road and then freeze into black ice. Other than that, it could be a nice ride.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I went riding yesterday in 48 degrees. Even with my Hippo Hands, long johns, and two wind block sweaters under my leathers, I was cold. And it's a dry cold here. In the end of December in the humid Midwest, you can run into some fierce winter storms. Sub-zero temps, blinding snow, ice, freezing drizzle, and wind that can blow you over, or blow snow onto a clear road and then freeze into black ice. Other than that, it could be a nice ride.
yeah but other than that... I should be ok right?

I'm riding every morning in 48* weather... with jeans (nothing under them) and my first gear Kilimanjaro Jacket... vented gloves and Moose MX boots... I'm perfectly fine, though hands could use a bit of warming usually. course by the time I get there it's probably in the low 50's.

I think if I get what I mentioned I should be ok as far as being cold...

I'm more worried about the wind... that's the one thing that sucks on this bike... it's so light takes nothing to blow it over...

the route I'm taking keeps me on somewhat major roads and in the hills... so they should be somewhat clear even after a storm... but also somewhat shielded from the wind. (I hope)

once I go north of Springfield I'm fucked as far as that goes...

but oh well... it's all part of the adventure... if this is the only way I can make the Mid west interesting... so be it!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Just hope you don't get trapped in a storm, cause that would suck.

I would also swap the knobbies for street tires.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I think you are going to have a bad time if it is snowing or stormy and I will laugh and point. Heated gear and as much wind protection material you can get on you ftmfw. Great gloves are a must for that long of a trip. No windscreen is going to suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

If I get stuck in a storm ill laugh right along with ya. To be honest I'm hoping it won't just be a cold boring ride. But not too interesting

Can't run too much heated gear as I only have 50watts to spare.

Maybe hid's will help that a little.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

You sir are coo coo for cocoa puffs!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Get some of those little packets hunters use to stick in your pockets and boots. Those help with the cold some.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

wow, you got a girlfriend... like a real live one? congrats.

as for the ride, you're nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Decided to skip the heated gear... that shit's for pussies... (read people who have a bigger stator than I do)

gonna get some of the Moose Racing Paws Gauntlets

I think I'll be warm enough... I'm sweating in my jacket with it's liner and a t-shirt at 45* so as long as my hands stay warm... I'll be fine... I think I'll pack a bunch of those disposable hand warmers Rae mentioned (great minds...)

got some new waterproof/wind proof pants and wind proof base layer top and bottom from first gear on order (polar fleece backed)

only other thing would be my feet... as my boots are NOT water proof... but I have a fix for that... they don't let water in while riding... but the stitching where the sole attaches to the boot leaks... so silicone it is! won't look pretty.... but neither do I so what ever.

Not packing much stuff... as I'll ship it up to keep my pack small... mostly just pack emergency stuff... an MRE or two... a dry set of clothes... tools... a flare or 6... extra batteries... ya know the norm.

got to order:

an HID light to increase visibility on both sides.

the hard wire kit for my GPS

... that's it I think.

ohh... gotta change the oil... and a kit to do it again at my bro's.