Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Reliablity is measured by the number of reported problems, not by how well a vehicle actually holds up. So........if you deny you are at fault and reject paying for shit, your reliability is subsequently higher.

This is how Japan operates.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the millions of people who only buy "Japanese" because they put 200k plus on their Toyotas with few or no problems and their "American" GMs were crapping out at 90k.

<----------------------, by the way

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #22
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the millions of people who only buy "Japanese" because they put 200k plus on their Toyotas and their GMs were crapping out at 90k.

Like the Tercel I had for 5 years, with no issues at all. Like the Corolla I had for 5 years and spent less than $1.5K in maintenance. Like the Camry that I had for 10 years and never had an issue that I didn't cause.

... or like the Dodge Dakota I had for 8 years, with every second service after the warranty was up costing me $1.5K+.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

My Paseo was flooded (as in, submerged in water) during a big rainstorm one week while I was in school. In school I would go a week or more without driving, so I didn't notice that the lot had flooded and I wasn't paying attention when I tried to start my car with water in the engine. All I had to do to get it running again was replace the CPM (processing module). About 300 bucks. Traded it in at about 110k but it was running strong, no issues.

Drove the shit out of my Tacoma, put 100k on it in about 5 years, never had a single issue. It had many more miles by the time I sold it, still runs great.

Had a Chevy Cavalier. After about 70k it would rattle like it was going to fall apart if you took it over 55 mph. Died at 90k (hell, the odometer would have recycled if I'd been able to take it over 99,999).

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #24
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

And so it begins....

http://www.wkrg.com/consumer/article...-2010_2-53-pm/
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the millions of people who only buy "Japanese" because they put 200k plus on their Toyotas with few or no problems and their "American" GMs were crapping out at 90k.

You are talking about sales, not about reliability records, which of course can only be used to report quality issues.

When Toyota lauched it's 1998 vehicles (Enhanced EVAP mandate) the diagnostics only ran during the government tested EPA 23 cycle. Meaning they never ran the diagnostics in real world driving. So...when the other American OEMs had Check Engine lights on for gap caps missing or a small leak detected (and it was a big issue), Toyota did not. Subsequently after Toyota won the lawsuit against them from CARB (because the law never said the diagnostics had to actually run in the real world), CARB mandated Rate Based Diagnostics in 2005 to combat the potential fraud by Japanese OEMs (Toyota in general).

Even the California Air Resources Board doesn't trust Toyota...they have left too many a bad stain on things and bascially committed legal fraud.

When you keep the Check Engine OFF and deny blame (see the accelerator pedal, Tacoma tailgates, Sienna oil burning problems etc. etc. etc. I could on) your percieved quality goes up. The only reason you do not hear about these is because they will rarely post up bulletins or perform recals UNLESS they are forced to do so. And...the American public (dumb as they are) believes every bit of it.

They have proven to be a dishonest company to many.....you just don't hear about it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #26
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

If it's legal then it's a loophole, not fraud. If they were given standards to work to, and they did so, then it was government that failed.

... in the same way that they failed to curtail GM, Ford, and Chrysler when they started selling "light trucks" as passenger vehicles.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If it's legal then it's a loophole, not fraud. If they were given standards to work to, and they did so, then it was government that failed.

... in the same way that they failed to curtail GM, Ford, and Chrysler when they started selling "light trucks" as passenger vehicles.
So do you trust a car company with your life that tries to find loopholes in shit? I mean come on. The regulation LIKE ALL OF THE OTHER OBD2 regulation was designed to work in the real world. In the Enhanced EVAP case, the EPA 23 test was only the test that the government used. And to clarify, it wasn't a matter that Toyota made sure it ran on the government testing route, moreso that the software ONLY ran the diagnostic when it detected that the governemt test was running. That IMO is fraud. They purposely detected that the specific government test was running and ONLY ran the diagnostic then; never in the real world. This was the reason CARB sued Toyota...and IIRC, Toyota did pay 200 million for it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-01-2010 at 04:04 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #28
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
They have proven to be a dishonest company to many.....you just don't hear about it.
Yeah, I must have missed that memo, when they bought my '01 Tacoma from me, at 1.5 times retail because of potential frame rust issues.

The thing wasn't even under warranty, and I had bought it used.

Evil Jap Bastards, and their sneaky tricks!

Paying for my rental car while I shopped for a new truck was the final straw.

How dare they make GM look so bad.

JC
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #29
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
So do you trust a car company with your life that tries to find loopholes in shit? I mean come on. The regulation LIKE ALL OF THE OTHER OBD2 regulation was designed to work in the real world. In the Enhanced EVAP case, the EPA 23 test was only the test that the government used. And to clarify, it wasn't a matter that Toyota made sure it ran on the government testing route, moreso that the software ONLY ran the diagnostic when it detected that the governemt test was running. That IMO is fraud. They purposely detected that the specific government test was running and ONLY ran the diagnostic then; never in the real world. This was the reason CARB sued Toyota...and IIRC, Toyota did pay 200 million for it.
No, I don't trust car companies. I go by my experience. That's why I went back to a Japanese vehicle.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Dunno about you, but most people I've seen drive have no idea what that "N" means. Or when to use "1" and "2" for that matter- all they know is "D" goes forward, "R" goes back. And "P" means park - but can't figure out how to use a hand brake.
this.

and then they get all pissy when their parking/e-brake needs to be replaced after 50k miles because it's frozen up.

they also wonder why putting the car in Park won't prevent the sucker from rolling away (that's pretty funny to watch )

I still don't get why people haven't shut the suckers off.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote