Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Just one question Trip, do you feel the same way when the Westboro Baptist Church protests funerals and are run off by people who think they're a bunch of idiots?

They're technically within their rights to protest, but nobody EVER complains about their freedom of speech rights being violated. Could it be because we don't agree with their message? And could it be that the people are well within their rights to protest the protesters?

And I lied, one more question.. What freedom of speech rights do we have on here? None, because it is your board and you are not the government so you are under no obligation to protect my freedom of speech. Much like a group of private individuals can try to silence anybody they wish ( These guys come to mind http://www.parentstv.org/).
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Says you..

Freedom has no decibel limit, and I haven't heard of any charges being filed about the threats.

They used their freedom of speech to get their message across, she wasnt wanted there by them. She could have stayed and gave her speech, she probably could have done it with police protection. She chose to leave.
Says the article

The event organizers have to provide safety for the audience and the speaker. They couldn't maintain order, so they cancelled the event. The kids even pulled the fire alarm, which is just sad. This is not just an issue of yelling, but causing disorder and not being able to safely hold an event. I am sure the hall would of provided ample sound for the speech to continue with the crowd yelling outside, so it's definitely not just the yelling.

What if you went to see a concert and a group of hardcore christians decided the band you were going see was "devil's music" and got the event cancelled, would you be as happy as you are about Coulter getting disrupted or do you just like childish antics when it fits your bias?
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Says the article

The event organizers have to provide safety for the audience and the speaker. They couldn't maintain order, so they cancelled the event. The kids even pulled the fire alarm, which is just sad. This is not just an issue of yelling, but causing disorder and not being able to safely hold an event. I am sure the hall would of provided ample sound for the speech to continue with the crowd yelling outside, so it's definitely not just the yelling.

What if you went to see a concert and a group of hardcore christians decided the band you were going see was "devil's music" and got the event cancelled, would you be as happy as you are about Coulter getting disrupted or do you just like childish antics when it fits your bias?
I'll just skip to the part where you called me childish because you have no actual merit behind your argument.

Freedom for everyone Trip, not just the ones you agree with.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Just one question Trip, do you feel the same way when the Westboro Baptist Church protests funerals and are run off by people who think they're a bunch of idiots?

They're technically within their rights to protest, but nobody EVER complains about their freedom of speech rights being violated. Could it be because we don't agree with their message? And could it be that the people are well within their rights to protest the protesters?

And I lied, one more question.. What freedom of speech rights do we have on here? None, because it is your board and you are not the government so you are under no obligation to protect my freedom of speech. Much like a group of private individuals can try to silence anybody they wish ( These guys come to mind http://www.parentstv.org/).
The Westboro Baptists don't intimidate or do things like pull the fire alarm. They go to their legally allowed spot and do their protest. They don't try to deny anyone their freedom of speech either. The patriot guard gets there and is allowed to protest too. Not the same thing.

Here, just like the Coulter event, are private events. You don't have the same rights you do on the streets. They can remove you from the crowd at the coulter event if you misbehave in the audience, just like I can ban and edit people's posts here.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I'll just skip to the part where you called me childish because you have no actual merit behind your argument.

Freedom for everyone Trip, not just the ones you agree with.
I didn't call you childish, read it again, I called what these idiots did childish.

I do agree with freedom as along as you don't use your freedom to limit others freedom.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
The Westboro Baptists don't intimidate or do things like pull the fire alarm. They go to their legally allowed spot and do their protest. They don't try to deny anyone their freedom of speech either. The patriot guard gets there and is allowed to protest too. Not the same thing.

Here, just like the Coulter event, are private events. You don't have the same rights you do on the streets. They can remove you from the crowd at the coulter event if you misbehave in the audience, just like I can ban and edit people's posts here.

You didn't answer the question, you went off on a tangent. Do you feel bad for the WBC when people try to shut them up?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
I didn't call you childish, read it again, I called what these idiots did childish.

I do agree with freedom as along as you don't use your freedom to limit others freedom.

Ok, understood. But, do you not agree that there is a difference between politicians/political speakers and a rock concert?

Hate speech and a rock concert are very different things..

From Coulter

“I’m pretty sure little Francois A-Houle does not need to travel with a bodyguard,” she said. “I would like to know when this sort of violence, this sort of protest, has been inflicted upon a Muslim — who appear to be, from what I’ve read of the human rights complaints, the only protected group in Canada. I think I’ll give my speech tomorrow night in a burka. That will protect me.”

Here's another

“I'm guessing the scores to get into the University of Ottawa are not very challenging.” -Ann Coulter

From the Globe and Mail..

"In an unusual move, the University of Ottawa had sent her a warning before her speech, cautioning Ms. Coulter to watch her words lest she face criminal charges for promoting hatred in Canada."

“I hereby encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here,” University of Ottawa academic vice-president François Houle wrote.

“Promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges.”

This is from CTV Ottawa, kinda seems like she made her own bed, Eh?

"As people were still making their way into the venue, the building had to be evacuated when a fire alarm was triggered.

The incident followed a Monday night lecture at the University of Western Ontario, where Coulter told a Muslim student to "take a camel" as an alternative to flying.

Coulter made the comment as she responded to a question from student Fatima Al-Dhaher, who asked about previous comments in which Coulter said Muslims shouldn't be allowed on airplanes and should take "flying carpets" instead. Al-Dhaher noted she did not own a flying carpet and asked what she should take as an alternative transportation. "

Last edited by Tmall; 03-24-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
You didn't answer the question, you went off on a tangent. Do you feel bad for the WBC when people try to shut them up?
Yes I do, the WBC protests legally. They follow the rules and laws. Let them say their thing. The WBC doesn't scream and try to disrupt the funerals, they get their signs and protest. They don't try to pull fire alarms or call in bomb threats (just an example, not something these kids did) to get the funeral cancelled. If this group of protestors followed the rules and held a protest without being disruptive and removing Coulters freedom of speech, I would have no issue with this story.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Ok, understood. But, do you not agree that there is a difference between politicians/political speakers and a rock concert?

Hate speech and a rock concert are very different things..

From Coulter

“I’m pretty sure little Francois A-Houle does not need to travel with a bodyguard,” she said. “I would like to know when this sort of violence, this sort of protest, has been inflicted upon a Muslim — who appear to be, from what I’ve read of the human rights complaints, the only protected group in Canada. I think I’ll give my speech tomorrow night in a burka. That will protect me.”

Here's another

“I'm guessing the scores to get into the University of Ottawa are not very challenging.” -Ann Coulter
There's a lot of hate speech in rock lyrics... There's a lot of anti religious tones and anti government tones. It is the same thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

When are the WBC dipshits run off? I saw one video where there was violence between them and another group but outside of that I haven't heard of any other incidents.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote