Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
There's a lot of hate speech in rock lyrics... There's a lot of anti religious tones and anti government tones. It is the same thing.
It's NOT the same thing. Rock music lyrics do not run our countries. Rock stars have no influence over foreign policy or how the country is run.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
When are the WBC dipshits run off? I saw one video where there was violence between them and another group but outside of that I haven't heard of any other incidents.
Hey, what do ya know! Nobody ran off Coulter either. She never even left her hotel, she left because of the "potential" for violence..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It's NOT the same thing. Rock music lyrics do not run our countries. Rock stars have no influence over foreign policy or how the country is run.
It is the same thing, to suggest otherwise is assinine. Both groups are entitled to have their private events free from a disorderly mob that threatens the security of the event.

Quote:
Hey, what do ya know! Nobody ran off Coulter either. She never even left her hotel, she left because of the "potential" for violence..
It's hard to say who cancelled the event. If an event organizer feels they cannot ensure the safety of the audience and the speaker, they will kill quick fast. She may not even had a say in the cancellation.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
thats funny, they sure seem to think they do. Someone call that fuck bono...
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
At least a portion of the students apparently couldn't behave themselves. Why leave the hotel when the event is canceled over security concerns?

Quote:
In my view they have a similar amount of influence as Ann Coulter, not much.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Yes, because free speech only applies to speech you agree with and like. What a fucking idiot...
Depends on whether you consider any and all speech to be free. There's the classic "fire in a crowded theatre" exception, for example. Personally I like complete freedom of speech, because it allows me to spot the bigots and morons for what they are.

As Avatard said, in this case the students exercised their rights of free speech to shout down someone they disagreed with.

Quote:
Actually they were using their speech to deny a person their freedom of speech. They also use intimidation and threats. Which are not protected free speech. So they lose.
There were no threats and the only "intimidation" was some moron who pulled the fire alarm. That's just to set the record straight, since the way that this is playing in the media is starting to come off like a '60s anti-Nam campus riot. It was nothing of the sort. it was a peaceful, if somewhat loud, protest.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Coulter made the comment as she responded to a question from student Fatima Al-Dhaher, who asked about previous comments in which Coulter said Muslims shouldn't be allowed on airplanes and should take "flying carpets" instead. Al-Dhaher noted she did not own a flying carpet and asked what she should take as an alternative transportation. "
Coulter told Al-Dhaher to take a camel, if she didn't have a flying carpet. The height of political discourse.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
The WBC doesn't scream and try to disrupt the funerals, they get their signs and protest.
Actually, they do.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #29
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Depends on whether you consider any and all speech to be free. There's the classic "fire in a crowded theatre" exception, for example. Personally I like complete freedom of speech, because it allows me to spot the bigots and morons for what they are.

As Avatard said, in this case the students exercised their rights of free speech to shout down someone they disagreed with.

There were no threats and the only "intimidation" was some moron who pulled the fire alarm. That's just to set the record straight, since the way that this is playing in the media is starting to come off like a '60s anti-Nam campus riot. It was nothing of the sort. it was a peaceful, if somewhat loud, protest.
Basic protected free speech, like you said the fire example wouldn't be protected speech. People being bigots and morons is fine.

They weren't shouting anyone down. She wasn't even there apparently. They were preventing an event. Your freedom is not guaranteed when you infringe on the freedom of others.

Without being there, it's hard to say what the crowd was doing. I wouldn't say they were trying to burn the building down, but it does sound like there was some disorderly conduct going on. All I have to work with is the article and reports.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Basic protected free speech, like you said the fire example wouldn't be protected speech. People being bigots and morons is fine.

They weren't shouting anyone down. She wasn't even there apparently. They were preventing an event. Your freedom is not guaranteed when you infringe on the freedom of others.

Without being there, it's hard to say what the crowd was doing. I wouldn't say they were trying to burn the building down, but it does sound like there was some disorderly conduct going on. All I have to work with is the article and reports.
Actually from what I've been told by people on-site, rather than read in the media, most of those people were there to try and get into the event. About 1000 people showed up for what was supposed to be 400 spots (as stated in the article). Cancelling the event was a preemptive and cowardly move on the part of the university. There was no threat, unless it was one of hearing damage.

Regarding the person who pulled the fire alarm; our standards of academic conduct would, in all likelihood, have had such a person tossed off campus and forfeiting all fees paid if it was a student.