Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
or they are a sponsor or the hooligans like the style over quality.
i dont mean just the guys on the show, but whenever they go to a "bike gang night" or whatever they call it, etc, seems like all 3,000 people there are wearing ICON

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Last edited by Yamerhaw; 03-07-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhaw View Post
i dont mean just the guys on the show, but whenever they go to a "bike gang night" or whatever they call it, etc, seems like all 3,000 people there are wearing ICON
oh, it'd be the second one then. style over quality.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #43
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Makes sense. A lot of the people that I know that wear arai, shoei, a*, etc dont seem to be the bike night type.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
You're my hero!!!!

Nah some guy was drunk and started some crap with one of my friends. When I "foolishly" stepped in to try to stop the fight,The guy took a swing at me with a beer bottle,seeing as I didn't have a CCW,I punched him extremely hard in the face and I happened to have put my gloves on before I did... Trust me I don't go looking for trouble,win or lose,it normally isn't worth it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
or they are a sponsor or the hooligans like the style over quality.
A lot of people say that and I won't argue but I have a A* jacket in the closet named the "T-Stunt" and it was out before or about the same time as Icon hit the scene. In fact A* makes a crap load of stunt rider style apparel, it's not Icon's fault that it isn't as popular as their stuff.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #46
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Nah some guy was drunk and started some crap with one of my friends. When I "foolishly" stepped in to try to stop the fight,The guy took a swing at me with a beer bottle,seeing as I didn't have a CCW,I punched him extremely hard in the face and I happened to have put my gloves on before I did... Trust me I don't go looking for trouble,win or lose,it normally isn't worth it.
Can't imagine getting hit with something that hard. Makes brass knuckles look wimpy. Good you defended your friend, bad for the idiot on the receiving end of the TiMax.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #47
snaps
Crazy like a fox...

Moto: 05 R6

Anything Joe Rocket is ..."okay".... for a little while, while it lasts, but doesn't last long.

Fieldsheer - when I worked at a shop, we had so much FS crap come back ripped, broken, what-have-you. The only good stuff they make is the Adventure pants/jacket, which are actually decent quality.

Icon helmets. Crap.

Same with HJC (A concussion from a soft 15mph crash?? No thanks, not again.)

KBC is only marginally better

Basically, it boils down to "you get what you pay for"... usually the more expensive, the better it'll hold up, and for longer.
snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #48
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
A lot of people say that and I won't argue but I have a A* jacket in the closet named the "T-Stunt" and it was out before or about the same time as Icon hit the scene. In fact A* makes a crap load of stunt rider style apparel, it's not Icon's fault that it isn't as popular as their stuff.
yeah but I think the difference at first which helped Icon was the price. A* isn't cheap and Icon will make it look flashy usually for less cash.

I'd rather have good equipment. I got A* boots because as far as I could find out they were the only one with the extra brace for the ankles and a mechanic that I worked with said he had a pair on when he crashed, the bike was on his foot/ankle sliding down the road. he got up and didn't even have a limp. after my last crash and still limping 1+ years later, I got the first pair off ebay I could afford. well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

don't get me wrong, there are some Icon items I really like. my TiMax gloves are one but with the one glove making two of my fingers numb they are not my favorite gloves to wear.

I really like the looks of the Icon Field Armor boots but they are thick and heavy.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
yeah but I think the difference at first which helped Icon was the price. A* isn't cheap and Icon will make it look flashy usually for less cash.

I'd rather have good equipment. I got A* boots because as far as I could find out they were the only one with the extra brace for the ankles and a mechanic that I worked with said he had a pair on when he crashed, the bike was on his foot/ankle sliding down the road. he got up and didn't even have a limp. after my last crash and still limping 1+ years later, I got the first pair off ebay I could afford. well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

don't get me wrong, there are some Icon items I really like. my TiMax gloves are one but with the one glove making two of my fingers numb they are not my favorite gloves to wear.

I really like the looks of the Icon Field Armor boots but they are thick and heavy.
True about the boots,both parts actually. I have Icon FA boots and they are comfortable and I've crash tested them twice without any injuries (to the foot anyway). I do however love my A* SMX Plus boots,oh baby like butter,they are! I have black perforated and white regular.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #50
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
True about the boots,both parts actually. I have Icon FA boots and they are comfortable and I've crash tested them twice without any injuries (to the foot anyway). I do however love my A* SMX Plus boots,oh baby like butter,they are! I have black perforated and white regular.
Thats a helpful post, Im looking for some good boots and if your gear whore self likes the smx plus that much, thatll probably be one of the deciding factors over others.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote