Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #41
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Don't mean to be argumentative, but this might have been avoided if you told the guy about the problems associated with MR12 beforehand. Yes, it's written on there but most people don't bother reading, they just listen to their friends and pick and chose what they want to hear.

Sometimes you gotta protect yourself from the stupidity of others. I run my Husky dry when I park it (usually) but only because someone told me to--if not, I would have had no idea. 76 100 oct comes out of a pump next to diesel.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

The guy was clearly an idiot. Reminds me of the guy that would come into the shop and weigh tires. He didn't want to buy the best tire composite - he wanted the LIGHTEST tire.

You can't fix crazy. Sometimes people get so hung up on what they think is an "easy" way to buy fast that they can't let go.
See, now you've got me started!

A guy we did some engine mods (high comp kit, Ti valves, cams, crank, rods...the works )and paintwork for this spring, brought his bike in on a flatbed last week; said the bike's clutch was slipping and kept "stalling".

This guy spent almost $8k on mods, paint and custom motor work for a Kawasaki Mean Streak...lotta money!!! He's put about 8K miles on it since May. When we send bikes out with major engine work we give the owner a break-in and service sheet that tells how to break in and when the next oil change and/or service is due (usually 200 miles to get all the metal shavings from break-in out) ......

He had not brought the bike back in for service since then.

We put the bike up on the lift, pulled the drainplug..........................

........and out came ........

....almost a pint and a half of the burntest, chunkiest glop you ever saw........

....and some metal pieces.....

and that's it.........

TOAST!
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Don't mean to be argumentative, but this might have been avoided if you told the guy about the problems associated with MR12 beforehand. Yes, it's written on there but most people don't bother reading, they just listen to their friends and pick and chose what they want to hear.

Sometimes you gotta protect yourself from the stupidity of others. I run my Husky dry when I park it (usually) but only because someone told me to--if not, I would have had no idea. 76 100 oct comes out of a pump next to diesel.
And you are right.......again, if I was the one selling the gas, if I'm the one "advising" him on what to do; but when a guy cuts you off repeatedly and says "ALL I care about is peak horsepower!", well, waddaya want me to do? Throw him on the floor and scream into his face?

Hmmm?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

One thing I will say is this... Not all work is good work and sometimes its better to say no.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #45
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
One thing I will say is this... Not all work is good work and sometimes its better to say no.
Roger... but it's not MY business..it's my boss's.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #46
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

OK, then now you have to laugh about it. It's technically your boss's problem - just document all of it, get the work orders to the customer in writing and have them sign off on it - ALL of it.

There are only so many times you can say... "Are you suuuuuure you want to do that?"

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #47
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Sounds like stereotypical Boston alright..........Tons of bean-head intellectual types who are successful and very smart, but aren't really mechanically inclined......So whenever they get a physical/mechanical hobby like riding, they throw tons of money at it rather than listening to the experts (who they think are "beneath" them)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #48
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
itgirl, you understand that race gas isn't something you can just walk up the pump and purchase, right? It is a very intentional purchase, typically by those that understand full well that not only can they not leave it in the machine - but, they can never put any other fuel into it.
the only thing i know about race gas is that i don't need it. seriously, i only know how to ride my bike and i'm probably not all that qualified to do even that much anymore. i am very glad there are people like you and OTB to clear things up for folks like me. like i said, sometimes we need it spelled out to us. and some people there are just no hope for.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Roger... but it's not MY business..it's my boss's.
Then don't wory about it .... He's taking jobs from these jerks . Do your best, go home, have a beer and forget about it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote