Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #31
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I'll let you know in about 3-4 days once the springs arrive. I plan on putting them in the day I get them (well, in the evening after work and my daughter goes to bed).

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
We did the full GSXR750 on our endurance SV complete with new rim and some steering head machine work and guess what? Our Race Tech equipped stock forks were preferred by all.

Another plus on the race tech is go to their website, input your weight, riding style and use, and it will give you free recommendations on spring rate and fluid...Free.
I use Racetech for all of my suspension needs. If he would have took me up on the front end, I would have suggested sending everything to them to be straightened, sprung, and set up. He would have had to simply install it ready to ride.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #33
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I use Racetech for all of my suspension needs. If he would have took me up on the front end, I would have suggested sending everything to them to be straightened, sprung, and set up. He would have had to simply install it ready to ride.
How spendy do you think that would be?
I have an SV that may have slightly twisted forks, and dives terribly.

I would like to do the swap (eventually), the gf that currently rides doesn't care much and can't tell the difference between an unsprung harley and an ohlins riding Duc.
So winter project sometime when I have some extra $$, or find a stellar deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
How spendy do you think that would be?
I have an SV that may have slightly twisted forks, and dives terribly.

I would like to do the swap (eventually), the gf that currently rides doesn't care much and can't tell the difference between an unsprung harley and an ohlins riding Duc.
So winter project sometime when I have some extra $$, or find a stellar deal.
Last I knew Racetech would straighten a fork for well under $100...less if you are getting the rest done. Springs are cheap and are easily replaced on a GSXR anyway... call them I'm sure that they can advise you much better than I or anyone else here IMHO.

951 279 6655

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-07-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Thanks dude. I really do appreciate the offer (especially to someone you don't really even know). I saw the additional costs associated with changing the triple set out (I'd have to get another bar setup since I already pulled the clipons off in favor of bars and risers), figuring out the speedo setup, etc and I'm about at the end of my bike mod budget for the year

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #36
Particle Man
Custom User Title

well, I installed the Sonic Springs and holy crap, what a difference. I started with 20W oil (instead of the 15 I was going to try originally) and it was actually too stiff so I put 15W instead in and it has just the right amount of give. Front end dive in braking is all but gone (there's the slight dip in the front end if I really grab a handful of brake that I'd normally expect). I actually backed the pre-load off to 4 and I may back it off another half because it isn't absorbing bumps as much as I'd like but I think that oughta do it. Now that I have everything in I can dial in this ZX-14 shock and get everything set up perfectly.