Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Moto: Honda CRF50
Default WOT running rough

Sup yall,

I own a '95 CBR F3. the bike sat in my garage since May, ever since I started school again. I tried turning it on the other day and it wouldnt idle or stay on without the choke on. so I changed/cleaned a couple of things. It has new plugs, new battery, cleaned out the carbs, I took them out and cleaned them and I also cleaned out the air filter with a KNN filter kit. I fired the bike up and now it turns on, idles well, even fires up without the choke on. great, im happy about that, BUT, if I ride it and I try to go full throttle on it, the bike gets really rough and it just hesitates to go. and it just sounds like its boggin. if im running low speeds, it has no problem, but I soon as I go wide open, it doesnt really go. I might just make a little video of it so ya can see what I mean.

but just from this description, does anybody have a suggestion?

Leon?
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

shit, I just read the SeaFoam thread on the tech section....

Im gonna be trying that out this weekend. ill post back results.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah Sea Foam is the SHIT! give it time to work though... and I'd do a few tanks run through of it... add like 1/8-1/2 bottle per tank.... depending on how bad things are... you should be good to go by the time the bottles done.

the only thing is... you've already cleaned the carbs... so you may have other issues... did you get the carbs sync'd properly?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

yeah, carbs were done correctly.

I was watching the video and it was saying to add the seafoam directly to the carb.... I dont want to go through all that hassle, can I just add it to the fuel and let it run through??
Old 11-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah just pour it in the tank. sea foam is weird... you can pour it in the tank, in the carb, in the intake... even in the oil... good shit!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I was going to suggest seafoam... gee, its almost like I made the other thread... hmmmm

And Ebbs asked about syncing the carbs. Please forgive me, but you never said anything about that. Its not just cleaning them. So did you actually sync the carbs?

What about the gasoline in the tank? Is it old?

Also, moving to tech... in Florida don't make much sense!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yeah I was going to suggest seafoam... gee, its almost like I made the other thread... hmmmm

And Ebbs asked about syncing the carbs. Please forgive me, but you never said anything about that. Its not just cleaning them. So did you actually sync the carbs?

What about the gasoline in the tank? Is it old?

Also, moving to tech... in Florida don't make much sense!

I took the old gas out and put fresh in.

syncing the carbs? fill me in on that. Im not a mechanic, I just took the manual and took the whole thing apart, sprayed it with carb cleaning, cleaned them up, put everything back together.

I put it in the florida forum because I am from florida and the question was intended for a group of friends, but I took a look in the HowTo/Tech section after posting and found the SeaFoam thread posted by you, which has great info.

but thanks for all the help, if you can guide me on the syncing it would be greatly appreciated.

-Loz
Old 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Its one of 2 things you either over oiled the K&N and its not getting enough air flow through the filter and will foul out the plugs in time.

Or you did not reconect the the float vent. Your bike has ram air and will run like crap the faster you move if the float bowls are not at the same pressure as the intake. These lines are the 3/4 inch lines a that run around in the carb area. You might have also unpluged the solinoid that switches from high to low speed vent. That solinoid is about the size of a fist and has 3 or 4 of the 3/4 lines ran to it. It switches at about 12mph to the high speed vent which is the one thats on the air ox inlet not the 2 at the front of the bike.

My F3 had 38,000 miles on it and my F2 had 42,000 miles on it I know these bikes like the back of my hand and can help with almost any problems you have. I miss my F3 it was a great bike.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

the carbs have breather tubes, 1 for each, but those just go out to the open they dont connect to anything.

i might have a clogged airfilter.... the airfilter is the original/paper thing that comes from factory... and I used the KNN cleaning kit which is made for foam ones.

thats probably my problem. but I still want to do the seafoam thing...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

The small tubes (one on each carb) are bowl drains. The vents I'm talking about is a 3/4 tube should be 2 of them in between the two sets of carbs that vent the bowl. It should go to the solinoid then from the solinoid to the front of the air box and the front of the bike. The ones that run to the front of the bike are often removed along with the solinoid during a jet kit install. as the low spee half of the system is not really needed.

The oil for the K&N filters is thin like water and you will soak into the filter so you only need a small amount. You can buy it at Autozone or napa most of the time. I normally spray it in strips about a 1/4 inch apart and then let it spread on its own. Then when the bike is together go straight to the freeway and ride about 10 miles or so at high rpms maybe 5th gear instead of 6th to keep the plugs from fouling if you did over oil it. Do not let the bike sit at low idle for a long time until you have been on the free way for a while. Once the plugs foul they should be replaced cause they will never be the same again, sure they will work but they will never be 100% again.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote