Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default What would stop you from riding?

I know a few of you have stopped riding, perhaps it was your decision perhaps a spouse really wanted you to. I'm curious to here why would you stop? and for those that have stopped what your reasons were/are?
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

hard to say with out actually coming upon that situation... I mean every loves to say that their spouse has no input into their riding... but I'd be floored if even 50% of them actually followed through with that if met with that situation.

me... if my wife (when I get there) and family really had a huge deal with it... I'd probably hang it up... but as my girlfriend rides as much as I do... I doubt that will ever happen...

Injury... if I got injured severely.. or narrowly escaped a very bad situation... it might change my outlook on things... I love motorcycles because of the freedom I get, and the way they let me experience the land I'm riding through... so anything that's gonna rob me of that... and I'll hang it up.

I'll never be a track only rider... that's just not what interests me about motorcycles.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
hard to say with out actually coming upon that situation... I mean every loves to say that their spouse has no input into their riding... but I'd be floored if even 50% of them actually followed through with that if met with that situation.
Erik quit racing after we got married, sold about everything but it was NOT because I told him to quit. He had quite a bit of debt from it and wanted to get out from under that. He started racing a few years later but did the endurance with a couple other guys to not rack up so much debt again.

Not sure what would stop either us from riding. I suppose injury would be one for me but like ebbs, unless put in the situation, it is hard to say.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Another serious crash would probably do it.

At 45 yrs. old, my body just can't take much more. My right collarbone is out of the sternum by one inch, won't ever go back in and it hurts most days. Another crash like that and I can honestly say I will be done with two wheels.

A trike or a sidecar might fill the bill, though.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Severe injury
Boredom
cost/debt

Even if I did stop, I would start again at some point.
I have stopped twice before, once for 7 years(die to accident/injury and cost), once for 1 year(due to boredom).
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Severe injury
Boredom
cost/debt

Even if I did stop, I would start again at some point.
I have stopped twice before, once for 7 years(die to accident/injury and cost), once for 1 year(due to boredom).
honestly... I think if I stop... I won't pick it back up... unless it's just being between bikes...

I've got an obsessive personality... so if I loose interest in something... rarely do I go back to it... I just move to something else...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I quit riding temporarily.

MY major reasons are #1 my age,I want to give myself some time to mature a bit so I dont end up dead early.

and #2, I'm unemployed and cannot afford it right now.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
I quit riding temporarily.

MY major reasons are #1 my age,I want to give myself some time to mature a bit so I dont end up dead early.

and #2, I'm unemployed and cannot afford it right now.
you couldn't just change the type of bike you ride? I mean that's basicly why I moved from the RR to the DRZ... could only enjoy it going balls out on the street... and that wasn't safe...

DRZ is a shit load of fun at 1/2 the speed.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I took a 3 year hiatus back in the 90's and sold the bike to pay off some debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I sold my bike before quitting my job and going into a commission only job. That was over 4 years ago. I quit the commission only job after a year when I had driven myself deep into debt and grabbed the first steady-paying job I could get. Had to dig myself out of debt over the next 3 1/2 years while working a job that barely just paid the bills. Finally bought a house and got out from the credit card debt, but the house needed some work. Luckily, I just found a better job. Pay is barely more than what I was making, but only for this first year. I get a 28% pay raise after the first year, which means I'll finally be able to afford a bike again. It's been too long.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote