Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

You guys hear that Bayliss wants to return to WSBK?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Matt Mladin might be riding a BMW. If that's the case then we shall see if BMW should stick with making boring ass, old men's bikes or maybe there's hope for the Roundel.

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009...e_in_wsbk.html

Ever since Ben Spies entered the World Superbike championship, all eyes have been on his former teammate at Yoshimura Suzuki, Mat Mladin. The 7-time AMA Superbike champion initially decided to stay in the US, but his disillusionment with the way the DMG - the rights holders for AMA Superbikes - was running the series became more and more prominent, and he eventually announced his retirement from racing at the end of July 2009.

At the time, speculation was rife that this retirement was merely from the AMA, and that the Australian veteran was planning a secret return to World Superbikes for the 2010 series. Mladin denied it, telling Superbikeplanet.com's Dean Adams that he intended to stop racing altogether once the 2009 AMA season had concluded.

Or perhaps not. An eagle-eyed observer over on Motorcycle USA spotted a fascinating Twitter posting by Mat Mladin this week:

a couple of world superbike offers have come my way in the past month. 1 of them very good in regards to machinery. decisions decisions ;-)

Mladin has previously denied that he would be interested in making a return to the world stage, after experiences with lesser teams and on lesser equipment left him disillusioned. He would only go if he was offered a ride on a top bike with a top team, he said, and he wasn't holding his breath, as the World Superbike paddock was singularly unimpressed with the level of racing in the AMA.

Ben Spies' success changed all that. Noriyuki Haga was the only man capable of challenging Spies on a regular basis, and he did so on the bike and with the team that had won the 2008 championship. If Spies was so good, the thinking ran, and Spies had so much trouble beating Mat Mladin, then how good must Mladin be?

Good enough to land a prime offer in World Superbikes, it now appears. Mladin has long been linked to Yoshimura Suzuki's return to the World Superbike paddock, and with the situation in the AMA still looking grim and the Japanese branch of Yoshimura fielding wildcards in World Superbikes in 2010, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mladin could ride in WSBK next season. With all the factory seats already taken, that narrows Mladin's options down considerably, but that single Twitter posting does raise a mouthwatering prospect. Could Mladin do a Spies? We'll know soon enough ...

~~~ UPDATE ~~~

Visordown is reporting that the team Mladin is being linked to is the new BMW privateer squad, which we reported on last week. According to Visordown, Alfred Inzinger, who ran the Power Horse Ducati squad that Troy Corser won his first World Superbike title on, has become involved with the Reitwagen Racing BMW squad, due to field Roland Resch in 2010. Dutch website Racesport.nl had already alluded to rumors that the team were chasing a big name rider to go alongside the inexperienced Resch, and few names are bigger than Mat Mladin.

Mladin would certainly be a huge PR boost for BMW, and help the team secure strong support from the Bavarian factory. What's more, Mladin has in the past sworn that he would not go to WSBK unless he had assurances about the level of machinery and the level of competence in the team. With the team being managed by a former world championship-winning manager, and strong backing from Germany, this could be sufficient for Mladin to change his mind.

It's all just rumor for the moment, but there's an awful lot of pieces that seem to make sense.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #23
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

holy shit
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

He will fail.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
He will fail.
Huge mistake! Troy Corser is no newbie and he couldn't get the BMW up front. I liked the Yoshimura rumor a lot better. Last year the Suzuki wasn't cutting it but with a top level rider, riding for a great team....who knows?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

That's an utter fabrication by the author. I doubt Mladin would call the BMW very good machinery as it only broke the top 5 once this year. It would have to be a factory ride, probably with Suzuki or Honda.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Huge mistake! Troy Corser is no newbie and he couldn't get the BMW up front. I liked the Yoshimura rumor a lot better. Last year the Suzuki wasn't cutting it but with a top level rider, riding for a great team....who knows?
he was doing much better later in the season. And theres the factor of his age. Fwiw the bimmer won the german series. And i wouldnt call that team a factory effort either lol
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
You guys hear that Bayliss wants to return to WSBK?
Would definitely cause a stir in the media....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

news this morning makes it sound like Stiggy racing is OUT of 2010. I might have it read wrong because they specifically state stiggy honda and they supposedly had a yami contract next year but hopkins might be out of a ride
TWF Post whore #6
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Mladin in WSBK ? Yep...definitely interesting.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote