Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jobs (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12889)

Cutty72 01-24-2010 09:59 AM

Jobs
 
Ok guys, question for you.

I currently have a job that is safe and secure, with no real chance of being cut. The pay is ok, benefits are good, and will be a steady 40 hrs a week.
I have not yet worked a single day at this job, I will start when I get back from deployment, so I can't say weather I like it or not.

There is a job opening with a power sports manufacturing company a little over 2 hours away from where I live. They currently have a job opening that I feel I would be qualified for, and would really enjoy the work. I have no idea of the pay or benefits, and I am sure that there would be more than the standard 40 hrs a week. Also, this job would require me to move.

So... what would YOU do in this situation?

Stick with safe and secure where you are already established?
Go for it! You have to love your job?
Apply and figure out which one to take when/if you get an offer?

Amorok 01-24-2010 10:05 AM

Wait until you have all the facts, then make the call. The steady job might be the way to go, but you have no way of knowing which is better until you get more information.

EpyonXero 01-24-2010 10:22 AM

Apply for the new job but give the steady job a chance before you do anything. You might enjoy it or you might hate it which will make the decision easy.

RACER X 01-24-2010 10:29 AM

right now i'd stick w/ safe and steady.

racedoll 01-24-2010 10:31 AM

If you can afford to take the chance, then I would. But if you can't then go the safe route.

goof2 01-24-2010 11:31 AM

You don't have enough information about the second job to make a decision. Apply for it if for no other reason than to get more details.

Amber Lamps 01-24-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 324154)
You don't have enough information about the second job to make a decision. Apply for it if for no other reason than to get more details.

He doesn't know much of anything about either job since he's never worked a day at the first job! I'd get all the facts about the 2nd job and apply (never hurts) but I'd also give the "safe and secure" job a chance before I made any rash decisions. Sometimes a job may not look like much on paper but as you do it, you find it to be a perfect fit for you. The work atmosphere, the boss, your co-workers may all be wonderful.

Plus, you have to look at the time and expense of a 2 hour commute for the second job, between fuel expenses and the extra 10 or 20 hours (2 hrs 1 way or 2 ways?) a week of your life, will the supposed extra pay/other benefits be worth it? Getting up at 5:30 am every day to make an 8 am start time and getting home at 7 pm every night, starts to suck after a while... Most of the time, the cost of fuel alone usually offsets any wage benefit.

azoomm 01-24-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 324154)
You don't have enough information about the second job to make a decision. Apply for it if for no other reason than to get more details.

This.

Captain Morgan 01-24-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amorok (Post 324140)
Wait until you have all the facts, then make the call. The steady job might be the way to go, but you have no way of knowing which is better until you get more information.

Ditto. If you don't get the offer for awhile, you may have to work at the steady job, which is no big deal. There is nothing wrong with looking for a better job. But NEVER give up a good steady job until you have a definite job offer from another company.

Ninjakel 01-24-2010 01:46 PM

stick with the safe and secure job right now.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.