Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #31
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
If we're going for fairness, they really ought to have a "children must be approved" clause in there too.
I've known a lot of children that are way more annoying than dogs in close quarters living.
Tru dat. I was home searching the one I was looking at was decent on the outside but redone on the inside. I look to the west neighbor house and know why the realtor took such a close up pic of the house. The other house was falling apart, no grass, crayon/marker scribble all over the house, and kids running around like they're on candy acid.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Sorry, Karl..I see what you're saying, and I agree that's apparently the law there. It's wrong though.

Basically, the landlord has no rights? You take one away, what's next? Oh, they didn't pay for 3 months? That's ok, they weren't making any undue noise..

The landlord tenant act should be rewritten.

If I'm a landlord, and I just spent $3k putting carpet in my house, and I specifically didn't have pets for a reason, and I go to rent it, I'd be pissed if anybody could just come in and ignore the rules I laid down in the lease agreement that THEY signed.

It's stupid.
As a landlord, you should be aware of the laws in place. If you don't like them, invest your money elsewhere.
I would never want to be a landlord, there are too many headaches and the laws do side with the tennants.

And lease agreements should never go against the written laws, that is just asking for a void contract.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #33
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
This is a big decision for me and it doesn't just come down to whether I want a dog or not. It's a decision that affects the next 15 years of my life. I'm nowhere near ready to buy a house so it's not just whether I want to live in this apartment or not. Realistically I could be out on my ass tomorrow if the landlords chose (sell the house, etc. etc.)
No landlord can evict you, even if new owners take over, without either 60 days notice(if you are on month to month) or unless your lease is up.
And if you are on month to month, landlords can give you 60 days for any reason.
I prefered to be reasonable with my landlords in the past, but that is only because they were reasonable with me.
If your agreement is for him to consider you getting a dog/stereo/kid(whatever) and he did not even consider it, then he is not living up to his end of the signed agreement.

Whether you get a dog or not, you should learn your rights as a tennant.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #34
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I'm just not ready to move or anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
No landlord can evict you, even if new owners take over, without either 60 days notice(if you are on month to month) or unless your lease is up.
And if you are on month to month, landlords can give you 60 days for any reason.
There you go. Kel doesn't want to move. If she forced the issue to get a dog and won, she could very well be looking for a place to live with only 2 months notice to do so. Sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Kel, I think the next time you look for a place to live, look for a place that doesn't mind pets.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
get annoyed all you want. The law states the landlord cannot prevent her from owning a dog.
If a dog is well trained, it will not bark, and will behave when told. When Kelly is away, it can be crate trained.
Both of my dogs are silent when they are in their crate.

Is the landlord going to ban crying babies, or kids that run around next?

Get what you want, and if the landlord has a problem with it, tell him he can file a complaint with the housing board. See how far that gets him.
Guess I've been lucky. I've never rented anything from anyone or been a tenant. I'm not in the practice of making trouble for myself, i.e. doing something that is specified otherwise. It's never as easy as "it's against the tenancy act", just do what you want.

And I am also considerate. I wouldn't get a dog in an apartment or dwelling that sits on top of another person's home. Your dogs may be well trained, most aren't and most make noise.

Anyway...It's much easier to live in places that allow dogs. Many of my friends live in dog friendly places/apartments.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #36
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Buy your own house, make your own rules. Problem solved.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #37
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Buy your own house, make your own rules. Problem solved.
troof, but i dont think my neighbors liked it when we had a party and my freind left on his sportster with straightpipes at 3am.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
There you go. Kel doesn't want to move. If she forced the issue to get a dog and won, she could very well be looking for a place to live with only 2 months notice to do so. Sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Kel, I think the next time you look for a place to live, look for a place that doesn't mind pets.
They can give you a notice to quit. But, if you disagree or think it's retalitory you can sit on a board and have them mediate the decision. If they gave her the notice shortly after a disagreement, she would most likely win and have the dwelling as long as she wanted it.

I had this happen with a troublesome landlord. He tried to terrorize the tenants, I pulled him aside and told him if he didn't fuck off, I'd report every single thing I'd noted him doing "Including going through other people's mail boxes". I had a notice to quit a week later, and a meeting with the rentals board two weeks after that.

We won, I pretty much had the run of the place. Anything he tried to do after without actual evidence of me doing anything wrong would have been considered harassment.

I stayed there for several months after completely problem free. He even stopped frivilous complaints.

The rights are in place for a reason. Like Karl said, if the landlords can't abide by them, that's their problem and the law trumps their lease every time..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #39
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

But, I probably still wouldn't have bought a dog.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #40
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
The rights are in place for a reason. Like Karl said, if the landlords can't abide by them, that's their problem and the law trumps their lease every time..
This is so true. They must know the tenant's act and if they don't that's their own foolishness. I'm not a bad tenant and have been very flexible with a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
But, I probably still wouldn't have bought a dog.
Ya, I just don't want the hassle it would cause. I would be getting a small dog that would cause minimal disturbance, but it's still not fair for me to do that.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote