Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
What do you think will replace them?
I'm pretty sure it will be hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. I always hear that the cost of the infrastructure requirements would be too great. I never see numbers assigned for that cost. I also never see any numbers for the costs associated with updating the electric grid to handle increased power requirements from large quantities of plug in vehicles. What I do know is fuel cell vehicles have virtually no "carbon footprint" and hydrogen is a completely renewable energy. Those two facts alone make me think that is the direction the government will eventually push, whether it is a good idea or not.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I also never see any numbers for the costs associated with updating the electric grid to handle increased power requirements from large quantities of plug in vehicles. What I do know is fuel cell vehicles have virtually no "carbon footprint" and hydrogen is a completely renewable energy. Those two facts alone make me think that is the direction the government will eventually push, whether it is a good idea or not.
While hydrogen is renewable, you know where they get it from?

Almost all of the commercially available H comes from Natural Gas steam shift reactors. Definately has a carbon footprint, The rest comes from splitting water, which mostly get's it's electricity from the grid.

There is no free hydrogen.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
While hydrogen is renewable, you know where they get it from?

Almost all of the commercially available H comes from Natural Gas steam shift reactors. Definately has a carbon footprint, The rest comes from splitting water, which mostly get's it's electricity from the grid.

There is no free hydrogen.
I guess it goes back to a question similar to the original, what is the environmental impact from generating hydrogen? That isn't the biggest question for me though. It will take some time for me to be convinced it is safe for the same dumbasses that can't drive normal cars to be wheeling around with thousands of PSI of Hindenburg gas attached to their vehicle.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It will take some time for me to be convinced it is safe for the same dumbasses that can't drive normal cars to be wheeling around with thousands of PSI of Hindenburg gas attached to their vehicle.
Pinto 2 FTW!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Pinto 2 FTW!!!
More like nuclear Pinto. I can only imagine having to evacuate a highway every time a car catches on fire. Are firefighters going to go anywhere near one?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

What is the Enviro impact when two battery powered cars crash into each other and split those cases open?

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
What is the Enviro impact when two battery powered cars crash into each other and split those cases open?
I don't believe any manufacturer is using lead-acid batteries in hybrids, so it could be worse. Nickel-metal-hydride batteries are currently in vogue and while nickel isn't supposed to be very good for you it is a lot better than acid and lead coming out of everything. Lithium ion is probably going to be the next step and is supposed to be better than nickel on the environmental front. Lithium polymer, probably the best technology from an environmental and efficiency standpoint, has its own problems. If they suffer an impact leading to a short or are charged too quickly they ignite and burn vigorously.