Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I guess I was lucky to buy from the person I did. I bought a 1000RR with 88 miles on it off e-Bay (sent him a few hundred to end the auction until I could come look at it).

I met him at his house, took the bike for a test ride, met his wife and kids, bullshitted a while and had a beer with the guy. Came back the next week with a check and took my (almost new) bike home.

Had he asked me to meet him in some empty parking lot and give him $10k+ cash to ride the bike, I would have a different bike now.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I guess I was lucky to buy from the person I did. I bought a 1000RR with 88 miles on it off e-Bay (sent him a few hundred to end the auction until I could come look at it).

I met him at his house, took the bike for a test ride, met his wife and kids, bullshitted a while and had a beer with the guy. Came back the next week with a check and took my (almost new) bike home.

Had he asked me to meet him in some empty parking lot and give him $10k+ cash to ride the bike, I would have a different bike now.
that's funny isn't it. when you look at it from the other side it seems so cold. unfortunately there are lots of bad people out there. luckily for you, you had someone who had never been burrned to deal with. luckily for him, he had an honest person with real intentions of buying to deal with.
there's good and bad on both sides, personally I've lost a couple thousand by trusting people. I got it back eventually but it's not worth my time or money to try and avoid hurting people's feelings these days.
Glad your's worked out for you. nice bike.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
Rider
Moto GP Star

I don't mind people coming to my house. I have no worries about that. All I ask for is a little collateral before I let you leave my driveway. Hell when I sold my last dirt bike, the guy didn't even ride it. He looked at it, I started it up for him and he bought it. I even let him use my PC to send me the money via paypal before he left my house. You can't be too careful because in my book everyone is shady until proven otherwise.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #24
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

I sell an average of a bike a month. That means I meet strangers 2-3 times per month. Never at my home. I meet them at a storage area I have for bikes...but I get there early and have the bike outside the gated area...so they don't know my unit #.

I tell them on the phone or e-mail when setting up the meet:

A. No MC endorsement on their DL, I dont care how many friend's bikes they've ridden...no test ride.
B. No DL...no test ride. You "left it at home"? Too bad.
C. Full price Cash in MY Hand or no test ride. DL and keys to their car in my hand or no test ride.
D. I don't take cashiers checks...cash only. Yes, people do FORGE cashiers checks try to pass stolen traveller's checks and if it's after hours (95% of the time)I have no way to verify the check's validity...cash is not only king, it's the ONLY way I do business.
F. Like Leon, I always have a "contingency plan" when meeting strangers.

You don't like my rules, too bad. Haven't lost a bike yet. Some sellers balk.....

I sold new cars for a while in my misspeant youth; during that time, one of the other salesman was carjacked in broad daylight by a "customer" who pointed a gun at his face during the testride and told him to get out; the "customer" then used the $30,000 conversion van to rob a bank....

I was giving a testride to another guy, who suddenly floored it; we're screaming down the highway at 100+, me screaming at the dude...him ignoring me till I hit him in the head a half dozen times and turned the ignition off.. I literally had to beat the crap out him to get him out of the car, and he called the cops on me by the time I got back to the dealership.......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #25
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

OTB speaks and that is shit to take to the bank.

OTB... we going to get you out for the NE Rally? Talk to marko about it!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #26
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

You will have me for the NE rally. Is the October date firm? If so, I will pencil in for the weekened. I would like too go longer, but I'm a slave to the school schedule.

As far as roads....Marko and I have cruised around there....mayhaps we can do a couple weekend runs w ITgirl to nail down some loops and routes this summer?

Perhaps we should make Marko the Rally Grand Marshall??????????
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
You will have me for the NE rally. Is the October date firm? If so, I will pencil in for the weekened. I would like too go longer, but I'm a slave to the school schedule.

As far as roads....Marko and I have cruised around there....mayhaps we can do a couple weekend runs w ITgirl to nail down some loops and routes this summer?

Oh you're too kind. I'll kindly pass the grand marshall title, my friend. And we should definately scout some roads between now and then...especially now that I'm a state worker and have copious amounts of time off.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #28
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah I'd take their license... and something else that has the same name on it...

I may even bring my camera to snap a pic... they can watch me delete the photo when they get back... but yeah...

DL, cash, and I hold the keys to what ever they arrived in. may even follow
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post

Yeah I think it is. I will probably roll out earlier just to offset the travel time vs fun time.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #30
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

werd.

OTB's the man.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote