Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Right turn, left tit on the tank. Left turn, right tit on the tank.
I'm sorry, but in the past hour since I read that, I have put way too much thought into how that works
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I was told to try and check my makeup in the mirror.
Guess I don't wear enough makeup.
I'm going to try leading with my upper body though. I think that would help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Bend your elbow. You'll have no choice but to move your upper of. Try to get your armpit directly over the gas cap. Not touching it, but over it. I'm not a fan of kissing the mirror because I don't like the way it makes me feel.
I agree.

You should be looking straight over your mirror. I can tell when I'm getting there- all I can see is my chinbar in the mirror. Usually puts the outside of the tank in the crook of my elbow. Since my legs are so damn long, I can't wedge the seat into the back of my knee like shorter guys do.

One of the NESBA CRs told me to grab the inside bar/barend like a pencil to force the elbow into the right position. It's supposed to make moving you shoulders down and into the turn easier. Basically, move you palm out and everything else will follow.

Also, don't forget the "shuffle" heel back and in- squeezed against the heel guard on your rearsets, end of the peg gripped between your toes.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Just lock your outside knee on the tank; it should be able to support your whole body weight. Lead with your head instead of your butt. Try it in the pits on your kickstand until you find the right position, then go out and experiment.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
psychochild28
Banned

Moto: SV 650S

Wow I've learned more from this thread than when I ask people.
psychochild28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
You should be looking straight over your mirror.
under
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Bend your elbow. You'll have no choice but to move your upper off.
True, but to get yourself to do this and feel comfortable just requires more track time. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you just need a few more track days

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm sorry, but in the past hour since I read that, I have put way too much thought into how that works
Only you derf.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
True, but to get yourself to do this and feel comfortable just requires more track time. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you just need a few more track days
You talking to her when you said more track time is needed? I agree. But these are things that can also be practiced on the street! And not a warp speeds either. Getting the basics right will feel awkward at first...way awkward. The ultimate goal of the basics are to get you comfortable with the fundamentals of aggressive riding, while setting you up to feel feedback from your bike and be able to adjust if need be. I try not to get too in depth with a new rider because it might be too much information to grasp at once.

The basic body positioning is the most important to learn. Once you do, you can tweak it to fit your style. For example, I don't like to lean my upper down and forward to kiss the mirror because I feel too vulnerable if I do get some bad feedback. I feel like I'm in no position to make an adjustment leaned way over like that.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Yes, I was talking to Kelly when I said more track time. I was kidding, some what. Like you said, you can practice this on the street... which to me is much easier than sitting in the pits. Granted that will help, but I think actually riding and practicing will help more.

You will get there Kelly.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Only you derf.
No not just me, I'm just the only one to say whats on my mind.

On a slightly off topic note, I saw something that I could use the other day, it was a small plastic gizmo that sticks on the edge of the gas tank to help you lock your knee in it. I've been searching for it and have yet to find it. Its not the pads with small spikes on them that dig into your leg, I tried those and didnt care for em, it sits on the side crease of the tank and just sticks out a bit giving a lip to lock your knee on
Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
CasterTroy

There's been great advice in this thread...I learned a few things too

But the best thing said IMHO is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Don't sacrifice the comfort level of your riding in trying to look the part.

I use to hang off like a friggin monkey thinking I needed too, then I went up to shady valley and rode with Clay for a weekend, and learned a thing or 12.

After a few track days and being told comfort level was the key to getting faster, THEN work on body form as the speed increases, I was able to feel better about the form I had.

What does it matter if you LOOK the part, yet are getting passed by old farts on dual sports sitting straight up?