Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I grew up in DFW, to me, Austin has no soul...just a big shiny city, but granted DFW has done the same thing, but it will still always be home.

Maybe we spell it differently, but I grew up with ya'll and ya'll it will always be (could also be cuz I'm part oklahoman ). I dont say y _ all, If we want to be picky, technically we should spell it yawl, as thats how its pronounced.
Austin, big & shiny?

It's more of a college town to me.

What they're saying is, Austin is more culture mecca, while Dallas is more generic, big retail chains, etc.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

After looking that list over, I don't want to live anywhere on that top 10 except for maybe Boulder. Can't believe they ranked anywhere in Michigan as a "good" place to live.

Somewhere around Boulder wouldn't be bad, but Boulder is to pricey compared to places around it that are just as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 09-13-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

They'd have to pay me a LOT to move back to Dallas.... to each their own it has its good points, and perhaps it doesnt get a fair shake from me because i was in a bot-great situation the majority of my time there, but it is what it is.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
After looking that list over, I don't want to live anywhere on that top 10 except for maybe Boulder. Can't believe they ranked anywhere in Michigan as a "good" place to live.
Lists like this often remind me of the Travel Channel "Best __________". For example I watched "the best beaches of the Carribean". All they did was showcase resorts that I think the producers just wanted to stay at and have a reason to have the Travel Channel pay for their vacation and to write off expenses on their taxes. Basically they're biased as hell.

As for the SEC shit. Last thing I need a Georgia fan to hear. I'm more concerned with rankings of schools for the degree I want. Personally I think the more important football is to a school the dumber it is (with few exceptions). Also the more hardcore a college football fan is, the less likely it is they have ever stepped on campus much less been to that college (or any college).
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Personally I think the more important football is to a school the dumber it is (with few exceptions). .
Notre Dame is an exception

Now, if only they could win a major bowl....
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #36
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Notre Dame is an exception

Now, if only they could win a major bowl....
I would agree. Ranked 19 via US News and World Report. Next closest one I could think of or find was Georgia Tech at #36.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Grand rapids is like the diamond in the ruff of michigan as far economy and such. Its super nice over there.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #38
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
As for the SEC shit. Last thing I need a Georgia fan to hear. I'm more concerned with rankings of schools for the degree I want. Personally I think the more important football is to a school the dumber it is (with few exceptions). Also the more hardcore a college football fan is, the less likely it is they have ever stepped on campus much less been to that college (or any college).
Unless you are going to go into doctorate programs or other high end degrees, rankings mean shit as does "honors programs." No one discusses this shit outside of college except in your "interview" and it's not really going to get you anywhere besides maybe a nice little cookie.

You need to find out where the people went to college in the company you want to work for, that's who they are going to hire. Most companies will hire from a select few colleges and if you want your foot in the door with that company, get that nice pretty degree from where your potential boss went to school and probably knows who taught you. That means a fuckload more than some stupid ranking.

Stupid things like football and sport programs make a lot of a difference in the corporate world unfortunately. Most places aren't called "good ole boy clubs" for nothing.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 09-13-2011 at 10:05 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #39
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Unless you are going to go into doctorate programs or other high end degrees, rankings mean shit as does "honors programs." ...
Well I'm going to go to Med School after so name means a lot from what I gather. When I was iin Abu Dhabi working at a hospital, a doctor found out I was from Atlanta and knew what Emory University was. Never heard of Georgia Tech or UGA.

More importantly, I'm trying to get into the highest ranking Physics or Biochemistry school. UNC-Chapel Hill ranks 6th in Chemistry but I don't believe they are ranked high in any general listing. So I'd choose them over say the College of William and Mary which I don't invision having a huge science program.

Honors can blow my fucking balls. I get scam invites every fucking day and all they want is my fucking money.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #40
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Well I'm going to go to Med School after so name means a lot from what I gather. When I was iin Abu Dhabi working at a hospital, a doctor found out I was from Atlanta and knew what Emory University was. Never heard of Georgia Tech or UGA.

More importantly, I'm trying to get into the highest ranking Physics or Biochemistry school. UNC-Chapel Hill ranks 6th in Chemistry but I don't believe they are ranked high in any general listing. So I'd choose them over say the College of William and Mary which I don't invision having a huge science program.

Honors can blow my fucking balls. I get scam invites every fucking day and all they want is my fucking money.
Yeah, you want the higher end shit. Gets you in better places.
Quote: