Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Speaking of home, phone service..... I just bought a magic jack plus. I don't really care about home phone but I'm hoping that it will work with my home security system. I had a marketing scheme I tried to develop for renters and college dorms using cheap voip. Unfortunately mj relied on a running computer at the time. That is no longer the case. If it works the way I want, your alarm will call you and up to 5 other numbers of your choosing. You can then check your web security cameras, also installed by me inexpensively, and decide to call the cops. It eliminates the need for the monthly monitoring fee and the sometimes excessive lag some security services have.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #32
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Speaking of home, phone service..... I just bought a magic jack plus. I don't really care about home phone but I'm hoping that it will work with my home security system. I had a marketing scheme I tried to develop for renters and college dorms using cheap voip. Unfortunately mj relied on a running computer at the time. That is no longer the case. If it works the way I want, your alarm will call you and up to 5 other numbers of your choosing. You can then check your web security cameras, also installed by me inexpensively, and decide to call the cops. It eliminates the need for the monthly monitoring fee and the sometimes excessive lag some security services have.
Sounds like something I wouldn't mind setting up in my house. Not because I have stuff to steal, but because the cops almost NEVER seem to find anyone who breaks into houses or cars. Video cameras seem to be cheap enough these days that I would at least have proof of the theft and hopefully a picture of their face.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #33
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Sounds like something I wouldn't mind setting up in my house. Not because I have stuff to steal, but because the cops almost NEVER seem to find anyone who breaks into houses or cars. Video cameras seem to be cheap enough these days that I would at least have proof of the theft and hopefully a picture of their face.
And they STILL wouldn 't do a damned thing. Sad but true.

Revenue generation and bullying the population FTW.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #34
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
That's because there's more money to be had in pulling someone over for 5 over the speed limit... Can't make anything off of busting thieves...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #35
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yea and the outlay is only about $300 total....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

We're looking at a convergence of technologies. I'm surprised that it's taking as long as it is. Eventually you'll be getting live TV, recorded TV and movies, on-demand, internet, and phone via the same connection AND devices. you'll have one master control box, that all of these devices talk to, to select what stream each device will receive.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #37
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I have some cams hooked up pointing outside my house, at my driveway, front door, garage, parking spot and back door. They are all motion activated, record any movement, and all hooked up to a computer (wireless) with a 1tb external hard drive running free software I found online. Not including the computer which is just my old desktop that I was gonna trash anyway, is just under $250. That's the hard drive, 4 cameras and a wireless adapter.

I put the system together after my car got keyed while in my driveway. Since then all it captures is my neighbor and his wife arguing in the street, and my other neighbors kid cutting school on tuesdays. He leaves for school, then when his mom goes off to work, her walks out of the woods with some friends and into his house.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote