Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #31
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
After my last trip to ATL, I can only say some of ya'll up there are INSANE!! I was speeding, going quickly to avoid being run over and was passed as if I werent moving more than once by fellow SB riders. I admire their abillity to navigate the traffic, but they were riding like it was the Isle of Mann or something with no regard for cagers, and I can only assume they help to further some stereotypes...perhaps they are new and dont know better, but my only thought as they passed me wearing lil or no gear was "RIP"!
Well you do see very little gear in the Metro area (Mainly due to hot weather and the average speed being 5mph on the normal roads). However for the crazy driving. I'd hate to say it but you about have to drive like a jackass to not be ran over. When on the interstates I normally maintain between 85-100mph to be slightly above the flow. And then when you hit the surface streets is where the real fun begins.

The only motorcycle benefit to living in the Atlanta area is even with "Gixxers" and Busas ruling the streets. You can see all kinds bikes just cruising around. If you think buying an Aprilia, Ducati 1098, Guzzi, MV Agusta or stretching your bike 12ft is going to grab a lot of attention. Think again because there are 10 more like you within a 10 mile radius. Same for cars. Driving a Ferrai, Lambo, Lotus, etc isn't going to grab much attention.

On the plus side you can roll about 90mph in a 55 and pass right by a cop without them thinking twice about it. The downside though is those police charges (Specifically the Georgia State Patrol) have a top speed of 165mph which means he could pit manuever my bike.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

so I need another 5 mph to out run the cops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
guessing his ass was grass when you found out?
Yep, went back to the dealer with him to exchange the Busa for something more reasonable. He was under a direct order from the base commander not to ride it till he took and passed a safety course. He did and is now on his way to becoming a decent rider..
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #34
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750

Around here we have several fairly big riding clubs geared mostly toward SB riders...they all ride Gixxers, Ninja's, Busa's, R1's etc...and it's funny, not a one of them ever does anything besides go to the track and work on the 1/4 mile times. You can always tell the riding club guys because they have a nice big flat spot in the middle of their rear tire from all the burnouts and they all have atleast 3 inches of chicken strips on their tires. The kids around here look up to these guys and they ( the clubs) are the ones speeding, doing wheelies in the streets, weaving in and out of traffic and what not. ugh, what a way to send the wrong message to new riders...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 PM   #35
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
so I need another 5 mph to out run the cops...
And another few thousand feet per second to outrun the bullet when he sticks his gun out of his car and shoots you in the back. GSP has no rules of engagement. It's go time for them.

I saw video years back where some 16year old girl and 14 year old boy where running from the South Carolina cops on the way to Florida near Savannah, GA in a Jeep Cherokee. It went on for a few hours and then crossed into Georgia at speeds around 110mph. The GSP pulls up in front of the SC cop and basically ends the chase in 10seconds when he puts them into a tree killing them both. GSP's comments about it (To address the outrage) went basically along the lines of tough luck.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #36
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Not worried at all. More bikers mean more statistics, but more bikers also mean a louder collective voice.
majority of riders can hardly be called "riders" in the way we mean it though. we take riding as part of a lifestyle, a mentality, and a state of mind; thats not the case with most.

We were fortunate to have either a level head on our shoulders or were brought into 2wheeling by somebody that did.

I think its good that there are more bikes on the road, but it hardly effects me. I'll still get stereotyped, still have to watch out for 16 year olds texting, still have to fight for every inch during rush hour, and still get snide looks from soccer moms sneering down at me from their suburban tanks.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #37
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

saw a really nice sv1000s with exhaust and zuk lower fairings while riding the other day and i was actually surprised at how much i liked the way it looked/sounded. i gotta make friends with someone who has one now so i can get in a test ride
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #38
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider76 View Post
Yep, went back to the dealer with him to exchange the Busa for something more reasonable. He was under a direct order from the base commander not to ride it till he took and passed a safety course. He did and is now on his way to becoming a decent rider..
Yeah, I know the military standards/regs and yeah no license is a BIG no no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
Around here we have several fairly big riding clubs geared mostly toward SB riders...they all ride Gixxers, Ninja's, Busa's, R1's etc...and it's funny, not a one of them ever does anything besides go to the track and work on the 1/4 mile times. You can always tell the riding club guys because they have a nice big flat spot in the middle of their rear tire from all the burnouts and they all have atleast 3 inches of chicken strips on their tires. The kids around here look up to these guys and they ( the clubs) are the ones speeding, doing wheelies in the streets, weaving in and out of traffic and what not. ugh, what a way to send the wrong message to new riders...
Yeah, ran into a guy in the MP unit here that's like that. Drags an R1 and thinks it's the shit. Asked him if he ever did road course racing. He tried once at the same track I ran earlier this year, ran one lap and got scared.
Guess that tells ya something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #39
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
saw a really nice sv1000s with exhaust and zuk lower fairings while riding the other day and i was actually surprised at how much i liked the way it looked/sounded. i gotta make friends with someone who has one now so i can get in a test ride
I rode one before when test riding it for a friend (Who had no business on it). I'd say it felt very similar to a RC51. Just more comfortable but maybe less power.

My buddy didn't get it by the way. I talked him out of it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #40
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

why'd you talk him out of it?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote