Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
What is that shit in the airbox?
Acorns, mostly. Mice are nesting / storing food inside the airbox. There are probably nests inside our cars' intakes, too. At least with the K&N, they can't chew through a paper element and get sucked into the engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Is the handlebar bent? It could cause the throttle to stick, and temp changes could cause it to tighten and loosen with the time of day and heat from the bike.
Nothing is bent. The bars didn't take a hit in the crash and the throttle has been sticky since I bought the bike; it's been getting progressively worse and now it freezes completely. I'll thoroughly clean the linkage around the throttle bodies when I replace the cables-- if that doesn't fix it (combined with the new throttle tube), I'm at a loss...
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

If its been like that since you bought the bike it really could be anything.

Only reason I said the bars is because I had that problem a while back. The bike was dropped and the bar bent just enough to make the throttle notchy. I started cleaning and replacing stuff, and the only way I could see that the bar was bent is that when I held a straight edge to it against a light, I could see more light between it from the
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Shit, the story is lol funny dude!

Sucks about the bike and glad it didn't get you!
Plus one! Too funny about the acorns, although I'm sure that sucks too. Hopefully you get it all figured out.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
the only way I could see that the bar was bent is that when I held a straight edge to it against a light, I could see more light between it from the
Checked it last night and the bar looks okay against a straight edge. Besides, when it isn't connected to the cables, the tube spins freely on the bar with no resistance.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #25
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Is this bike fuel injected?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #26
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Is this bike fuel injected?
Yep.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

2 things to rid yourself of pests.

First

Second and I'm not sure it works with mice but definately works with many other things like rabbits, and such.

Perferrably male hair clippings cause men don't die their hair (normally) and therefor the human scent is stronger. Sprinkle it around the outside of the barn/garage/deck/flower bed. Poof... like a stinky animal border.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Yep.
Have you checked the throttle bodies to see if they are gummed up in any way? Or maybe there is condensation in there since you did say it is worse when it's cold.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Perferrably male hair clippings cause men don't die their hair (normally) and therefor the human scent is stronger. Sprinkle it around the outside of the barn/garage/deck/flower bed. Poof... like a stinky animal border.
Don't think that will work with mice. Rabbits fear people; mice and rats willingly come into our houses, steal our food, shit on my dishes and occasionally run across my forehead while I'm lying in bed. If I put my hair down around the bike, I'm 99.9% certain I would later find it stuffed inside my air filter along with the nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Have you checked the throttle bodies to see if they are gummed up in any way? Or maybe there is condensation in there since you did say it is worse when it's cold.
You can see the butterflies in the photo above. With the airbox open, I got a pretty good look and everything is squeaky clean. Bike only has about 1500 miles; not really enough time to accumulate the kind of gunk in the intake that would gum up the throttle bodies. The bike sat for years before it was put on the road, however, so maybe the linkage and cam have dust/gunk/corrosion. I will inspect and clean/lube as necessary when I disassemble everything (again) to replace the cables.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Is it the SV, dude? I still can't see the pic so I can't just look and see.

I don't know about the 1K, but on my 650 if the cables aren't absolutely perfect the throttle sticks.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote