Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default First time for everything...

If it's dry, I ride, regardless of the temperature. It was 25-degrees this morning it is supposed to reach a sunny 50 by this afternoon; the choice to ride to work today was a no-brainer.

Some mornings the throttle is frozen in place as I pull away from the car port. I usually just pull in the clutch, give the throttle grip a quick blip, everything frees up, and I'm on my way. Did the same this morning, but instead of a smooth break, the throttle instantly went to WFO and froze there. Not expecting this, I was already in the process of releasing the clutch, and upon engagement I was rocketed beyond Earth's orbit and a few minutes back in time.

Reality blurred and before thoughts of pulling the clutch back in or reaching for the ignition switch could form, I was on my side with the bike doing the horizontal donut dance on top of me. Gravel hailstorm at 25 degrees: cozy.

The rocks punched a hole in the left engine cover. I doubt it was wide open for more than 2 or 3 seconds, but some of that was spent pumping all its oil out onto the driveway. Said engine cover and my left leg prevented the bodywork from rashing up too bad; some scratches near the bottom of the side cowl, but no cracks and no marks on the tail, tank, or nose. Assuming the engine internals are okay, repairs should be limited to touch-up paint and a new engine cover.

Anyway, goddamitmotherfuckerbullshitpissfuck.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Holy crap!! You ok?
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

It sucks about laying it down, but that sounds like it would have been hilarious to see.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
If it's dry, I ride, regardless of the temperature. It was 25-degrees this morning it is supposed to reach a sunny 50 by this afternoon; the choice to ride to work today was a no-brainer.

Some mornings the throttle is frozen in place as I pull away from the car port. I usually just pull in the clutch, give the throttle grip a quick blip, everything frees up, and I'm on my way. Did the same this morning, but instead of a smooth break, the throttle instantly went to WFO and froze there. Not expecting this, I was already in the process of releasing the clutch, and upon engagement I was rocketed beyond Earth's orbit and a few minutes back in time.

Reality blurred and before thoughts of pulling the clutch back in or reaching for the ignition switch could form, I was on my side with the bike doing the horizontal donut dance on top of me. Gravel hailstorm at 25 degrees: cozy.

The rocks punched a hole in the left engine cover. I doubt it was wide open for more than 2 or 3 seconds, but some of that was spent pumping all its oil out onto the driveway. Said engine cover and my left leg prevented the bodywork from rashing up too bad; some scratches near the bottom of the side cowl, but no cracks and no marks on the tail, tank, or nose. Assuming the engine internals are okay, repairs should be limited to touch-up paint and a new engine cover.

Anyway, goddamitmotherfuckerbullshitpissfuck.
damn....
What bike was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

hey cold pavement is slippery you should accelerate smoothly.......LOL

yeah I'm an asshole. glad you didn't get hurt at least. other then pride it sounds like anyway.

25 is beyond my tolerance level.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It sucks about laying it down, but that sounds like it would have been hilarious to see.
Yes, in that strange pause in time typical of instantaneous violence, I actually had time to think of this (right around the 5:00 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bWl0MZxYrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
damn.... What bike was this?
The shiny 600-mile Triumph I bought back in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
My goal this time is to not crash it-- twice-- like I did with my first one.
FAILURE
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
CasterTroy

Dude I hate it happened...but man oh man if reality is HALF as funny as what I imagined you'd make $10k for a video of that
Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Sucks man. Get some pics. Glad you're ok.

So what you're saying is that you don't think there is any engine damage from the accident or throttle issue??

Why didn't you fix that issue before?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Why didn't you fix that issue before?
The throttle was notchy before, but it had never stuck open. I assumed it was sticking closed in the mornings because of frozen condensation.

Regardless, I have a new throttle tube on order along with the engine cover. When I had the throttle assembly apart a few months ago, the cables moved fine on their own, but the plastic part of the tube they connect to was slightly mashed.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

WOW... that sucks man.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote