Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default At least one sick prick off the streets

Justice for Brampton teen’s family 3 years after suicide

Amy Dempsey Staff Reporter

An ex-nurse who posed as a woman in an Internet chat room and encouraged 18-year-old Nadia Kajouji of Brampton to kill herself was found guilty Tuesday of aiding her suicide.

William Melchert-Dinkel, 48, relentlessly pushed the depressed and vulnerable young woman and a man from England to end their lives, a Minnesota judge ruled.

The young woman was studying at Carleton University in Ottawa when she jumped into a frozen river and drowned in 2008. Her grieving family has been waiting for justice without much hope.

“Honestly, until today — until maybe three hours ago — I thought he was going to get away with it,” Mohamed Kajouji said Tuesday evening.

The father burst into tears as he spoke of the pain he lives with daily, surrounded by memories: the photos of his smiling daughter still sitting on top of the television, her bedroom as she left it, the neighbour who looks like her. Last Wednesday marked three years since he lost Nadia.

Kajouji said he takes comfort knowing that justice will be served and hopes the judge comes down hard in sentencing.

“As far as I’m concerned, he’s an animal. I don’t know how he can live with himself.”

Melchert-Dinkel of Minnesota was charged in April with aiding suicide under a rarely used state law that carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and a fine of $30,000 (U.S.).

He declined a jury trial and left his fate to a judge, who issued his verdict Tuesday. Sentencing is scheduled for May 4.

Prosecutors said Melchert-Dinkel was obsessed with suicide and hanging. He sought out potential victims on the Internet, posing as a female nurse and feigning compassion for people he met in suicide chat rooms. Then he offered them step-by-step instructions on how to kill themselves.

Melchert-Dinkel tried to persuade Kajouji to hang herself in front of a webcam.

“Most important is the placement of the noose on the neck,” he wrote in one web chat, posing as a woman and using the screen name “cami.”

“Knot behind the left ear and rope across the carotid is very important for instant unconsciousness and death.”

He was also found guilty of encouraging the suicide of Mark Drybough, who hanged himself in 2005 at his home in Coventry, England.

Prosecutors said Melchert-Dinkel acknowledged participating in online chats about suicide with as many as 20 people and entering into fake suicide pacts with about 10 of them, five of whom he believed killed themselves.

Melchert-Dinkel told police he did it for the “thrill of the chase,” said Rice County Attorney Paul Beaumaster.

Defence attorney Terry Watkins argued the victims were predisposed to committing suicide and his client didn’t sway them by making statements online.

Judge Thomas Neuville said that argument was irrelevant.

The investigation into Melchert-Dinkel’s activity began in March 2008 when an anti-suicide activist in Britain contacted Minnesota authorities to report an online predator using deception to manipulate people to commit suicide.

Melchert-Dinkel has been allowed to remain free under certain conditions. Among them, he is not allowed to use the Internet without approval.

Nadia was cheerful young woman who loved her family, playing the guitar and ice skating.

She was a bright student who wanted to be a lawyer, but she grew depressed when she moved away from home. The increased academic pressure and a breakup added to her strain. She had begun seeing a campus counsellor and taking antidepressants.

An online posting made days before her death revealed the extent of her depression.

“I have not attempted suicide in the past because I am terrified of failing — the attention it would garner,” she wrote.

“I just want a quick out.”

After his sister’s death, Marc Kajouji became involved with the suicide prevention organization Your Life Counts. He hopes Nadia’s story will make people more aware of the tragedy of suicide and perhaps save lives.

“Talk to your friends, talk to your family, as hard as it is,” Kajouji tells people who find themselves experiencing the same feelings as his sister. “It’s important to reach out for help and not just try to battle this on your own because it is very tough.”

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Oh Jesus....the judge should be removed from the bench. So now I tell someone to go commit sucide and how to do it and I'll be charged with aiding a suicide? Nigga plz.

This is seriously fucked up. Why else would the dumb chick be visiting suicide chatrooms unless she wanted to off herself.

The parents want to blame someone, they need to start blaming themselves, not this guy.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Somehow, I expected that response of you. Please reread the article. He didn't just "tell someone to commit suicide."

Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Somehow, I expected that response of you. Please reread the article. He didn't just "tell someone to commit suicide."
Yes he did and I read it again three times.

He was instructing her in a chatroom on the correct method of hanging oneself, but she didn't even use it as she jumped into a river.

The family wants to pass blame so they sleep better at night. But the reality is that each man has to atone for their own sins. The heaviest of blame lies with her in the eyes of the creator.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Are you trying to get this thread deleted with that "creator" comment? Immaterial crap-tossing.

He's responsible for his own actions, of preying upon people when they're weak.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Are you trying to get this thread deleted with that "creator" comment? Immaterial crap-tossing.

He's responsible for his own actions, of preying upon people when they're weak.
Emotions aside, it sets a dangerous legal precident if we start to incarcerate people for verbally convincing others to commit a crime.

It is incidents as such that trigger emotion which leads to freedoms getting thrown out the window. This is why the guy "thought" the judge would actually uphold the freedom of speech by asking for a bench trial. Apparently not.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

I tell little bastards to commit suicide all the time on ps3
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Emotions aside, it sets a dangerous legal precident if we start to incarcerate people for verbally convincing others to commit a crime.

It is incidents as such that trigger emotion which leads to freedoms getting thrown out the window. This is why the guy "thought" the judge would actually uphold the freedom of speech by asking for a bench trial. Apparently not.
Shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre exception. Take people who are in a mental and emotional state to believe something, then use that to elicit the response you desire, and you're responsible for the results.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre exception. Take people who are in a mental and emotional state to believe something, then use that to elicit the response you desire, and you're responsible for the results.
No you aren't. It isn't my fault they are in an "emtional state", esp. when you are dealing over the internet.

Quit trying to blame others for the sole fault of the women who jumped in the river herself. She was of age and knew right from wrong. This isn't a child who could be manipulated easily, but rather an adult who needed to take responsiblity for her own actions.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
No you aren't. It isn't my fault they are in an "emtional state", esp. when you are dealing over the internet.

Quit trying to blame others for the sole fault of the women who jumped in the river herself. She was of age and knew right from wrong. This isn't a child who could be manipulated easily, but rather an adult who needed to take responsiblity for her own actions.
If someone told a known bike thief your address, what security you have, when your bike will be exposed and basically give them the most effective way to steal your motorcycle would that someone be responsible in any way if that thief took your motorcycle?

What if they gave a convicted rapist out on bail the address of your girlfriend's house and the best time to "do his thing" would they be responsible in anyway?

I do get your point though 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote