Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default no facebook= no work for you

http://www.fastcompany.com/1792349/c...?partner=gnews

For a whole new generation of tech-savvy young professionals, having access to social media or the right smartphone in the workplace is at times more important than earning a higher salary. For businesses, that means adapting to this change in priorities rather than resisting it--if the Mad Men-era job force expected noon whiskeys and female secretaries, then our modern-day equivalent demands Facebook and iPhones.

The findings come thanks to Cisco's second annual Connected World Technology Report, a study released today that says attracting and maintaining Millennial talent takes more than the number of zeroes attached to a weekly paycheck. The company surveyed 1,400 college students aged 18 to 23 and 1,400 young professionals under the age of 30 across 14 countries. HR and IT managers take note: "The growing use of the Internet and mobile devices in the workplace is creating a significant impact on job decisions, hiring and work-life balance," the report concluded. "The ability to use social media, mobile devices, and the Internet more freely in the workplace is strong enough to influence job choice, sometimes more than salary."
Cisco's findings are telling of a generation that's been glued to LCD screens and wired to social networks from an early age. According to the report, 40% of college students and 45% of young professionals would accept lower-paying jobs if they had more access to social media, more choice in the devices they could use at work, and more flexibility in working remotely. More than half of the college students surveyed indicated that if an employer banned access to networks like Facebook at work, "they would either not accept a job offer from them or would join and find a way to circumvent."
This technology addiction represents a major opportunity for employers looking to add to their bottom lines while recruiting top talent. For just a few simple workplace concessions (say, allowing employees to choose an iPhone over a BlackBerry, and opening up access to social networks), recruits could be more likely to accept job offers--and at a lower salary. One in four college students, according to the report, said issues like these--while likely baffling to older generations--would represent key factors in their decision to accept a job offer. (To demonstrate just how obsessed Millennials are with their precious tech, Cisco also discovered that more than half of respondents said they'd rather lose their wallets or purses before losing their smartphones or mobile devices.)

At Cisco, the company is exploring internal opportunities to take advantage of the report's findings, which continue to show an increased melding between one's professional and personal life. Employees more and more show an interest in working from home, using a work-issued mobile device for personal purposes, and connect to social networks while on the job. (There's a reason why services such as Yammer, the enterprise version of Facebook, are becoming so popular.) In fact, seven out of 10 college students said company-issued devices should be allowed for personal use. That's why Cisco, for example, is internally testing what's called BYOD, or Bring Your Own Device, meaning employees can come to work with whatever technology they prefer--be it an Android smartphone, an iPad, or a Windows-based laptop.

If that's what it takes to recruit top talent these days--especially at a potentially lower price--how can you complain?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Damn kids.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

this is the first co. that i've worked at that has access to FB, also alot of young people working here.......maybe to co. is progressive.........dunno
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

me loves me some entitlement...

Me also loves me some Cisco sponsored reports that tries to push Cisco product and services.

Call me old and skeptical but I just don't buy what this report is selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions...er1-Report.pdf

Red flags

Quote:
More than half of Students (55%) and an even larger proportion of End Users (62%) indicate they could not live without the Internet, it is an integral part of their daily life
Wait wut?
Quote:
About One-Third (32%) of College Students Indicate the Internet Is as Important to Them as Water, Food, Air and Shelter; and Roughly Half (49%) Indicate the Internet Is Bot as Important—but that It‘s Pretty Close.
Quote:
Given a choice between the Internet and social activities such as dating and going out with friends, the largest proportion of College Students (40%) consider the Internet to be most important in their daily life.
About two-thirds (64%) of Students would prefer to have access to the Internet versus a car—driven by significantly large proportions of Students in China, Japan, India, and Germany.
If anyone were to come to my desk citing this report I would fire them immediately then sue them for sexually religious racial harassment.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

My last job had zero access to the internet... wasn't a big deal... you find other was to slack off.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Like people are going to die if they go 8 hours w/o checking FB
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
This technology addiction represents a major opportunity for employers looking to add to their bottom lines while recruiting top talent. For just a few simple workplace concessions (say, allowing employees to choose an iPhone over a BlackBerry, and opening up access to social networks), recruits could be more likely to accept job offers--and at a lower salary.
OK, if the company TELLS them they allow social media, I could maybe see that working in their favor.

But unless the company says so, the person being interviewed isn't going to ask. I mean get real --- How stupid would you have to be, to ask "Do you allow social media at work" during your interview. You would look like a total dipshit, focused on unimportant things, rather than what it takes to succeed on the job.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post

Quote: